What's new

Oppo (1 Viewer)

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Nope. Which Oppo? Just sit and drink lots of coffee so when it gets there you can stay up and rewatch all your movies.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Install the latest beta firmware. Just got a 970HD last week. Out of the box with the shipping firmware, the 5.1 analog outputs didn't feed a signal to my prepro's direct inputs.

BTW, the 970 even has built-in DTS decoding...undocumented feature. Manual/box only say DTS Digital Out.

-Brent

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I am kinda looking for some feedback on other people's experiences with this player, just unpacked and hooked mine up yesterday. I am using the hdmi connection with 1080i to my sony tube. While the picture is a little better, i was kinda hoping it would blow me away like a standard 1080i broadcast. Were my hopes unrealistic?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Yes, very unrealistic. No standard DVD image (from any DVD player) can approach a good, clean high definition signal or disc.

However, make sure you experiment with all settings on the Oppo...including 480p component. That often works best with CRTs. Remember you have an analog set and using a digital connection may not work best (digital connection will force your display to do the DAC, but a good player probably does a better job), nor may upscaling since your display probably allows for native 480p which is likely best in your case.

In addition, be sure to use a calibration disc such as Avia or DVE.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
I am so glad this thread exists. My first HDTV player arrives on Thursday and all of a sudden, everything is changing. I am finally getting rid of my 32" CRT and going with a Samsung Plasma--I cannot wait. Anyway, I was comparing the two Oppo players and I have been leaning toward the OPDV971H--the one without SACD, with the DVI-HDMI cable. Here's what I gather:

1 - to upconvert with any of these upconverting DVD players (Samsung, etc)--you need to use DVI or HDMI outputs

2 - The reviews for the DV0970HD have said the picture quality is not as good as the other model because it does not use the DCDi Faroudja technology. Anyone care to comment on that?

3 - I am going to a 42" plasma--would I see the difference between the two anyway?

4 - dumb question - does it matter what kind of computer you are using to get the firmware updates or does it just write a file to the CD which the player reads?

Looking forward to reading more about the Oppo player. It seems too good to be true, so I am scouring the boards for more information on it. Are there other threads I should be checking out?

thanks so much!
mike

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Only a very few players upconvert over component. Most use DVI/HDMI, and encrypt the video too using HDCP.

Faroudja is very nice, but it is not bug free. For some, the bugs overwhelm the benefits.

The Oppo 971 is regarded as an excellent DVD player--and it shines in 720p mode. It's not however, up to the level of hd-dvd.

I use my Mac to burn firmware updates-- the update is delivered in .iso form-- which most any burning software should handle.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Thanks for the response, Jeremy. Yeah, I am a Mac guy as well; that's great about the firmware updates being easy to get. Neat.

Wow, I just really torn between the 970HD and the 971H! I am not trilled with the prospect of going to DVI->HDMI...I will just get a solid HDMI cable from Bettercables.com and take care that with the 970HD...

It sounds like the 971 edges out the 970 in video quality. Which one do you have?

-m

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The 971. (Truth be told, the HDCP non-compliance was a significant factor in my buying decision)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
I actually just went for it and got the 970HD...it sounds like it's going to work really well with the 720P that I am forced to use...

we shall see what happens!

thanks for your help..

mike

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If you have relatively decent speakers, you should definitely check out sacd and/or dvd-audio.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
I have a good mix of PSB speakers for my mains, a very large center speaker from my torrid CSW days, four surrounds and a solid SVS sub...I think I even have an SACD rolling around. I guess I should be picking up some more audio cables for the multichannel sound...

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hey guys--

Just wanted to let you know I got the 970HD on Friday and put it through some paces on Saturday night...I was totally, utterly blown away. Even the few films I sampled (Empire Strikes Back, Toy Story 2) made it very clear that this was a significant step up than what I was used to. I am thrilled!

I even tried the SACD--my wife got a Coltrane's "Lush Life" for her birthday and it sounded really good (though only had a few channels). I am going to look for another one soon.

Thanks again for all your help. I couldn't be happier with the player.

-mike

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
I got a 971H coming by the weeks end and I hope and pray this was a good call on my part.
I was happy when I got my Samsung HD-931 which the Oppo blew away on the DVD bench test reports I went through. I was just to "frugal" to part with the money,but after my weekend experience with another player, I'm nervous and hoping!!!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its a very nice dvd player.. for 200 bucks.. its worth it.. I had other problems with dvd players that didn;t do the proper job or had problems.. no problems here.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks