What's new

Oppo Weirdness...anyone ever see this? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My Oppo BDP-93 did something weird this afternoon while I was spinning Prometheus 3D.
Every line had a jagged edge. At first, I thought it was the disc, because the Fox logo had it, the menus had it, and the opening credits had it. But when I stopped and reloaded the disc, the big Oppo on screen had jaggies all over. It was as if the image was a GIF that had been blown up to 1000 times normal size.
I power cycled the player and it went away. This is kind of disconcerting from a $500 blu-ray player that is out of warranty.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I watched Prometheus in the non-3D (I bought the 3D set but don't as yet have a 3D display) Blu-Ray on the Oppo BDP-93 in the secondary basement system earlier in the week with no issue. Perhaps, it's something that will get corrected via a later firmware. I tried watching in the bedroom system first but had not updated my PS3 for a bit and it gave me a message so I took it to the basement. The PS3 did the same thing to Magical Mystery Tour so I updated it and that played fine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/324434/oppo-weirdness-anyone-ever-see-this#post_3988316
My Oppo BDP-93 did something weird this afternoon while I was spinning Prometheus 3D.
Every line had a jagged edge. At first, I thought it was the disc, because the Fox logo had it, the menus had it, and the opening credits had it. But when I stopped and reloaded the disc, the big Oppo on screen had jaggies all over. It was as if the image was a GIF that had been blown up to 1000 times normal size.
I power cycled the player and it went away. This is kind of disconcerting from a $500 blu-ray player that is out of warranty.
The HT equipment of today isn't much different than a computer so it shouldn't surprise any of us when a glich like this happens every now and then when certain discs are loaded into a player. Perhaps, a firmware update is needed?????

Crawdaddy

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's got latest firmware. I've heard Oppo has good customer service, I will report it to them and see what they say.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oppo responded to my email...
We have seen in our own testing that the player will occasionally with the 71-0723 and the 74-0908B firmware show an image which is incredibly low fidelity, like an old 8-bit video game. Power cycling the player will fix these errors. We have not found the cause of these errors or have found them to be regular, so we do not expect your issues to occur often.
Best Regards,
Customer Service

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Turn the player off and back on...you know, like you have to do to Windows machines periodically.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I've had an occassional anomaly occur with my Oppo 95 where I either have to remove the disc and put it back in or power cycle. It's probably happened 1/2 a dozen times in the past two years.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Steve Tannehill said:
My Oppo BDP-93 did something weird this afternoon while I was spinning Prometheus 3D. Every line had a jagged edge. At first, I thought it was the disc, because the Fox logo had it, the menus had it, and the opening credits had it. But when I stopped and reloaded the disc, the big Oppo on screen had jaggies all over. It was as if the image was a GIF that had been blown up to 1000 times normal size. I power cycled the player and it went away. This is kind of disconcerting from a $500 blu-ray player that is out of warranty.
its a HDMI handshake problem. I recently started having the problem as well. I wrote to oppo about it. said to try another HDMI cable.

Jacob

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
I have the BDP-83, one of the first ones issued and I'm an installer. I have not had your exact issue but I have had discs freeze up, albeit always a Netflix rental disc, and the only solution was a hard reboot, unplugging the power cord. All Blu-ray players are basically computer drives and they do have to be rebooted every now and then regardless of brand.

I agree with both Robert about the power cycle and with TheBat about the HDMI cable. The power cycle is self explanatory but the handshake issue can be daunting. I've had customers where we needed to replace the HDMI cable and others that just needed to be reseated (unplug it and plug it back in). In one instance, reseating wasn't enough and I had to use Caig Pro Gold to clean the contacts which solved the problem. These problems usually occur because of the strain of gravity on the HDMI cable or more impotantly, the HDMI port on the device, these are the weak links in the system. Whenever possible, try to create a strain relief for your HDMI cable at the port to increase the life span of cable and port.

Steve, I'm glad to hear that the power cycle fixed you problem and I hope the above information will help others when they run into similar probelms as described.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks