What's new

Oppo DV971H -- A review (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm reviving this thread just to let everybody know that Oppo has released a new firmware upgrade: 10-0720. This version deals mainly with improved synchronization issues. It came at just the right time for me. I've been pulling my hair out due to sync always being just a hair off. I've installed the upgrade and so far, the synchronization seems to be dead-on. I'll report back after I've watched several movies with it.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking about picking up this player and need a little advice.

I currently run a Denon 910 DVD player into a Mitsubishi 48-313 CRT RPTV via component cables sending a 480P image. The TV has a DVI input.

If I purchased this player and used the DVI output into my TV with the 1080i resolution, would I notice increased picture detail?

I have calibrated the TV to the best of my ability (some service menu, focus, etc.) with AVIA. I assume I will have to calibrate the DVI input for best picture quality.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Joe,

I have a very well calibrated, ISF'd Sony 57" CRT RPTV with HDMI.

I've tried the 971....I now have the 970.

I think the 970 at component 480p is ideal for sets like ours. While the deinterlacing is better with the 971 because of the Faroudja chip, it does tend to oversoften the image in my opinion...when upscaled to 1080i. The 970 is sharper, yet still has good overall deintelacing. In addition, it's a far better 480p player. DVI/HDMI has no benefit for CRT RPTV...and often even makes the image worse. Also, there is no potential for macroblocking with the 970.

Go with the 970.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have the samsung hcr4755 HDTV set. iwas wondering if I would notice the differnce with dvi upconversion compared to progressive scann? for some reason my progress scann is a bit off when playing dvds in progressive with this tv.. the dvd player that I am currently using is a sony slv D970. I also had the same reaction with a cyberhome 300 dvd player.

thanks.

Jacob

Chris_Bak

Auditioning
just got my 971 in today, really like it. I'm currently using the 5.1 analog and have noticed that the lfe output if much lower that that of when I was using a digi coax cable. Is anyone else using the 5.1 analog and has had the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks