Oppo BDP-83 put in Lexicon case and sold for $3000 more

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DaveF, Jan 16, 2010.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

I don't know anything about Lexicon or Oppo. But I'm again reminded that THX has long since destroyed their name and sells only meaningless certifications.

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    From the article

Ouch! Unfortunately not terribly surprising. I wonder how much traction this story will get and if it will have any impact on high-end gear sales. Guess we will see.

-Keith

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    This really isn't a new phenomenon. High end manufacturers have sold re-badged equipment for many years. What really amazes me in this case are the facts that Lexicon stated that the player had been improved in some way (a la Ayre or Theta's treatment), when it clearly hadn't; and that the Lexicon player received THX certification when it didn't meet the required standards. That's a black eye for both Lexicon and THX.

Together with these two organisations, hometheaterreview.com has also been caught in the vortex of disrepute with their review of the Lexicon at http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

Several people commented in a perfectly respectable and respectful fashion that the players were the same machines, asking if the reviewer wished to revise his opinion, but these comments have all been removed. Everyone involved in this debacle is getting egg on their face, and throwing their reputations to the wind with abandon. Remarkable.

Adam

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'll have to keep that in mind: when I'm researching a new purchase I cast about for reviews from sites I'm not especially familiar with. I try to figure out who's writing good info, but it's easy to be mistake attitude for expertise.

But it may be a clue that the A/V review is off-kilter when mass is an important criteria ("The Oppo is lighter").

5. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Weight has traditionally been one of the secondary indicators of quality audio equipment. Usually it's because a larger transformer was used in the power supply of a receiver or amp, which can make a significant difference in the audio output. A sturdier (thus heavier) mechanical build can be good for anything with moving parts. A more massive turntable helps when playing vinyl discs, too, since it reduces wow and flutter.

It's sad when people go by that without checking other parameters, though. :(

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Quote:
    None of which have anything to do with reading digital media :)

7. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Well, sturdiness does, at least over the long term. I suspect a "heavy" player made of metal parts, with a drawer which opens and closes silently and a drive which repositions its heads quietly is likely to last a lot longer than a light one made of flimsy plastic which makes scraping sounds when opening, closing and seeking a new video file. The latter describes most BD players costing less than $200. :(

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I always use weight as one of many things to consider when comparing components. But unless they stuffed it with gold bars there sure isn't a $2500 difference between the two.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Mass does not indicate sturdiness. Heaviness does not mean stiffness. And a reviewer gauging a Blu Ray player's quality based on "it's heavier" is to be avoided, at least by me.

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious? A classic case of "caveat emptor" if I've ever seen one. In the automobile world, this would be the equivalent of the Cadillac Cimarron: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Cimarron.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

From the Audioholics review:

So people are being asked to spend 3000 bucks more for a player that performs worse.

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

From the hometheatrerevew

At least he was right about this. It is a stamped steel CHINESE player in a shiny coat.