What's new

Oppo BDP-83 possible connections to current system (1 Viewer)

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
Ok, I have a Yamaha RXV-1200 receiver that DOES NOT have HDMI inputs. I currently connect my Yamaha S1200 DVD player to my TV with a component video cable and use an optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver for audio and RCA cables for 6 channel sound.

The TV I have is an LG42PC1DA which DOES have HDMI support. If I were to connect the OPPO player to the TV with an HDMI cable and use the optical cable I currently use plus 5.1, 6 channel stero cables to my receiver, will that work?

I know I could use the component video cable, but a member on this board told me that DVD's I currently own would not upconvert through the component video cable. I must use the HDMI cable. Under the specs for the Oppo player a statement is made under the component video output..."available for non-restricted content only," which I now understand that upconverting is not possible through component video cables. I have a huge collection of DVD'd and I do want a Bluray player, but I don't want to lose the upscaling capabilities of the Bluray player.

My TV and the component rack I have are about 15' away from each other due to space requirements. I didn't want to have cables visible all over the place, so I ran all of them down through the floor through my basement and then back up. I just installed new hardwoods and don't mind fishing one HDMI cable.

ANY comments are welcome.

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That will work fine. It's how I had my 83 hooked to an old (but lovable) H/K 520. I used the optical input for regular dvd's and cd's and the analog 5.1's for BluRay and Hi-Res audio.

At present time the subwoofer cross-over is fixed at 80hz for the 5.1 analog outputs but a firmware upgrade is supposed to add adjustable cross-over points. Make sure your speakers can habdle 80hz.

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
I have Klipsch RF-3's "Reference Series" speakers, so I assume since they are very good speakers they will handle 80hz.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Super! Since you're adding hdmi video you may have to change some settings in the OPPO's setup menu. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks