What's new

Oppo 970 CD experience (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Generally it's as simple as pressing the "multichannel" button. On some receivers, it shares the same video inputs as the dvd player, though since your sony doesn't switch hdmi/dvi anyway, I can't imagine that this will be an issue. Use the normal dvd input when listening to a movie.

FeisalK

Screenwriter

it can't be that bad, even the PS3 converts DSD to PCM (176.4kHz) when you play SACDs.

notice the conversion is to 88.2kHz which is exactly 1/32 of the DSD sampling rate

John Alvarez
I don't have the Oppo but generally in universal players during the setup you gotta set the defaults properly (to multichannel layer for SACD and dvd-audio area for DVD)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

For the record, Oppo confirmed that the 970 does the DSD >>> PCM 88/24 even on the analog outputs.

I have not heard the 970, but given all the positive reviews I've read about it and the raves from owners, it must be quite good.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It's a moot point, then.

(88.2 KHz PCM cannot be used to reproduce frequencies above 44 Khz. Theoretically, SACD's frequency response extends to 100 KHz, although most SACD players use a low pass filter to remove frequencies higher than 40 or 50KHz.)

Still, a number of SACDs are not available in DVD-Audio, and some real advantages, such as lower noise, and surround sound are still there.

Jacob C

Second Unit

Well, that is lame. Still sounds very good though but I have to wonder how much better it would sound like on SACD player that doesnt do that.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I am somewhat wary of the DSD >>> PCM conversion. However, I am not "purist" enough to dismiss the 970 completely. Given the positive responses to this player's performance, there must be something special about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks