Opinions wanted on a possible plasma upgrade

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Duane R, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

I currently have a 2012 Panasonic 55" GT50 that is pretty good. The semi recent news of Panasonic plasmas no more has me wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a 60" (biggest size I can fit) in either a VT or ZT model while I still can get one. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    There have been deals if you want to go with a larger screen on the VT models. I think you can get a 60' VT model for around $1600-1800. I have the 2012 65' VT, so I can't really justify buying this year's model or the ZT model.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    i would consider upgrading if you want the additional size, but not for increased performance.

BTW, I have worked on a Sony 4K LED and an older Sharp elite LED this week. Both looked frkn awesome.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Duane,

If you do consider upgrading there isn't much difference between the VT and ZT series plasmas.

Being a ZT 65" owner, I don't think it even keeps reflections at bay any better than other plasmas I own.

Think the black levels on the ZT are tremendous, but I also feel it is a bit dim, perhaps due to its screen filtering.

I would only recommend you consider upgrading if you need to get into a larger sized display.

Bryan^H likes this.
  5. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Well I pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago while I still could get one. As noted, there's not much of a performance increase over the GT50, but the additional screen real estate is a welcome addition. It's a real shame that Panasonic is exiting the market. Thanks to all for the responses to my query.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Did you get the VT or the ZT?What do you think of the brightness level?And...oh...of course...congrats on your new display.

7. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Sorry for not clarifying earlier, but I ended up with the VT. From everything I read, the ZT has an edge in extremely bright conditions, which is a non-issue for me. I ended up getting it at Best Buy after price matching Paul's TV for a good price of $1749. The bightness of the panel is perfectly fine to me, as I've been running it on the THX cinema setting since day one.