What's new

Opinions:Simpletech 2.5 External Hard Drives (1 Viewer)

Gary_E

Second Unit
I was interested if anyone has any experience with Simpletech's 2.5 external USB 2.0 hard drives. I'm interested in archiving captured HD mpegs of this season of 24 on one of their 80 gig drives.

I'm curious if HD playback performance would be impaired by connecting it to my desktop USB 2.0 port, without needing an additional power cable.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Gary

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
With bus power, the problem is getting the drive to spin up. 2.5" notebook drives are not the problem that regular 3.5" drives are. I would guess that the drive basically works, otherwise they wouldn't sell it.

In that case, you've got a 5400rpm drive. HDTV MPEG transport streams are actually only about 20 Mbits/second, which any modern 5400 drive should be able to handle. (The fact that USB 2 can go as fast as 480 Mbits/second [downhill with a tailwind] doesn't matter if you can't read stuff off the drive that fast.) So you should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks