What's new

Opinions on Daewoo DVD-5800 at Sam's Club (1 Viewer)

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
On sale for $89. It had S-video and component outs, a co-ax audio out, and a silver front panel. I don't need progressive scan or in-board audio decoders (have Denon 1802). I would like one that put's out a 16:9 picture, as I plan on doing the squeeze to my Tosiba 27AF41. Finally, I figure this is a way for me to pick-up a player now and start collecting DVDs. Can always upgrade later.

I would appreciate any comments on this set, positive or negative? Especially concerned with durability.

Thanx.

PS. Not so concerned with tweak-ability, though maybe I'll get into that later.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure it has component out? I have a 5700, which has S-video and composite out, but no component out.

The Daewoo are great for versatility, but not so great for picture quality. I have one as a secondary player, and use it for homemade discs and multi-region capability. I wouldn't recommend one as a main player. You would be better off spending a little extra cash and getting one from a major DVD player company.

-Dave

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I may be wrong about the component outs, I took just a quick look and both my kids were with me.

I've heard others say the picture on this unit is as good as other low-end units. If I don't get this, I'll get the toshiba 2800.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I haven't used the Toshiba 2800, but I would say that the Toshiba 1200 was superior to the Daewoo.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks