What's new

Opinions on Cambridge Soundworks (1 Viewer)

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone give me an honest opinion of what you think the quality of their speakers and subs are?
I am new to this board and have found a lot of useful information and I appreciate the help.
Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Cambridge makes some good stuff at good value (thanks to its Internet-direct distribution). The company was founded by pioneering audio legend and speaker designer Henry Kloss (of Acoustic Research/KLH/Advent fame).

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Are their HTiB (I know they are frowned upon here) packages any better than mass market packages? Seeing how they are a speaker maker I would think they would be.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say HTiBs are "frowned upon" here; everybody has to start some place. Some HTiBs are considerably better than others, and, even for seasoned veterans, these things make for good bedroom home theaters.

Hey there,

I am using a Cambridge Movieworks 308 speaker package and the sound is amazing. Also, the entire set - five speakers and sub - is less than $300 on e-bay, direct from Cambridge.

If you wanted something a little more substantial look at the MovieWorks 5.1 set, which should be just under $400 on e-bay.

Cambridge sells as "hifi.com" and has free shipping on most of their stuff. They also do a 10 year warranty.

I love those guys.

Marv

Stunt Coordinator
If you can catch their sales and other specials some of the prices/products are a very good value.

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of receiver and DVD player are you using with the 308 series and how much did you end up spending on cables and wires? Do you know anything about the Newton series?

Thanks

DanaA

Screenwriter
I recently spent some time in one of their stores in San Francisco. Their Tower speakers (if I'm remembering the name correctly) were, in my opinion, VASTLY superior to the Newtons. I did an A/B comparison between the two for around an hour, listening to everything from classical to rock to jazz and the Tower bested the Newtons at every turn. The Tower are a much warmer speaker and, in comparing the two, vocals off of them were pretty amazing, especially given their price. Best of all, they were on closeout and the price was, I think, $899 a pair, less than 1/2 the price of the Newtons. The only drawback was their appearance, which didn't tickle my fancy at all. Nonetheless, they were a significantly better speaker to my ears...and, by significantly, I mean no contest.

Marv

Stunt Coordinator
Newton series? I have three of the blonde maple M80's for my front speakers and a pair of M50's for the rears. I'm not using the M50's for the rears though as they were to difficult to mount from my pitched ceiling. I now use the MC50's for surround. I use an Audiobahn 18" in an IB for the sub. Check AudioReview.com for some feedback on the Newton series. Any one interested in some M50's?

_Marv G

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
Just so you know I purcheased the MegaTheater and the after a day it stopped playing DVDs - I would insert a DVD and it would show n screen as loading then give a message that there was no disc- but cd's work fine. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

The MC 200's as mains and the MC 300 as a center work great. I have Surround II 5.1 speakers for surrounds and I'm not impressed. So I'll be returning those, probably for a set of S200's (dipole)

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a pair of the M80s in Mahogany through their ebay store hifi.com. I didn't want to purchase more than that until I saw what they look like since they are supposed to be returned items I believe. I am thrilled with their looks, they are beautiful. So I bought another pair. i haven't had a chance to see how good they sound yet but I'm not too worried about it as I'm not a true audiophile and feel like they will more than suffice. I will probably purchase a sub and center through them as well.

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I have been eyeballing the CS speakers for a while now and am considering their MovieWroks II 5.1 system. Namely since I have a relatively small room/apartment that will not allow for a real serious speaker system...something I will have to wait for when I buy a house. But the CS seem to have a good reputation and I have not really read too many bad things about them...plus the 20% discount my brother gets too is luring me in. ;)

Anthony Urzi

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at the http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...6xx&type=store
and wondering if i could do better for the money either with seperate componantes, or going through an enterly differnt manufacturer. Money isn't too serious a factor,
i woudl liek to spend less then $5,000 and i want it to be as futureproof as possible which is why i liek the sounds fo thsi set, 7.1 audio....dvd's are just starting to get 5.1 ex and 6.1 now, i haven;t seen any 7.1 dvd's hit the market yet but i want to be ready for them out of the box when they do. I also liek the idea of one amp driving it all ensead fo havign to bimap the rear outputs and worry about matching them.
Is 7.1 a fantasy and shoudl i just save the grand and stick with the 6.1 version, or even a differnt 6.1 setup for the same money aas the 7.1?
I'd also like everything from one source, not in the mood to mix and match
I've seen a lot of great reviews on teh t-500's, so it's looking like a good investment. but msot of it was "i own these, i love em/howed i do"
I'm a new buyer so i'm pretty much open to anything.
Can anyoen sugest anythign better for the price or similer then thsi package?
I've seen them go onsale for $4500 plud free shiping, so i'd wait til that hits again before buying, ussualy around christmas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks