What's new

Opinions on Axiom M3ti? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Background - I've got a budget Panasonic reciever and two dirt cheap speakers wired upto it at the moment. I live in a small-ish apartment. My system use is 90% movies, 5% games, 5% music.

I've got a small budget of around $250-300 for a speaker upgrade. I was contemplating getting the JBL-NSP1 set, but a good audiophile friend here has been raving about the Axiom speaker range, and is pushing me to get one pair right now, use the current pair I have as rears, upgrading them & filling in the 'blanks' as I can afford it.

What's the general opinion on the Axiom M3ti speakers here? The reviews I've read elsewhere have been nothing but gushing about them, and they're certainly VERY keenly priced. Anyone picked up factory outlet speakers from Axiom? What were the "defects" like?

Does my plan of one pair now, the rest in the future, sound like a good plan?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
BrianB,
I went ahead and took the plunge on a full suite of Axioms (pair of M50s, pair of M3s and a VP100) back in July of last year and they have impressed the heck out of me from day one (even before they were broken in).
Now, my M3s are pulling surround duties so I can't really give you an accurate representation of what they would sound like as fronts, except to say that, as surrounds, they bathe you in sound effects and ambiance.
As a whole, I can say that Axioms are a very detailed speaker, but not so detailed that they sound overly analytical. The way I see it, there may be better speakers out there, but certainly not at this price point. I feel that these speakers are a steal as I paid around $900 (including Fed Ex Two Day shipping) for the entire suite.
I bought my speakers brand new, but have heard that the "blemished" speakers are barely that. From what I've read, the blems are in inconspicuous places and, for the $ savings, may be worth taking a look into. If my memory serves me correctly, Rick Radford (an HTF member) bought some blems and had no problem with them. Check the threads to be sure.
I'd say your plan is a good one. You can always get some floor standing fronts (M40s, M50s, M60s or, dare I say, M80s) or even the M22s (which I hear are killer speakers) and relegate the M3s to surround duties like me.
Hope I didn't spew too much information...I just really, really enjoy my speakers!
E-mail me if you have any other questions I can help you with...good luck!
Ron

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Like Ron, I also use the M3s as surrounds. However, while I waited on my M60 towers to arrive, I used the M3s as mains. I thought they did a pretty decent job, and with a sub, I thought they did a great job with HT.

I bought black blems (say that 3 times fast!) and was pleased with the finish quality of the product I received.

Recently, my 2 year old knocked one of the M3s (on a 26" stand) over onto a HW floor. A corner or two received some cosmetic damage. This is what I would have thought would have constituted factory blems. However, the blems I received had very slight wrinkles in the veneer that were nearly impossible to see. A very close inspection might show the imperfection. Move back any at all and you'll never notice the flaw.

I also agree with Ron that Axioms are hard to beat at this pricepoint.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering an Axiom package as well, I'm just not sure if to go with 5 M3Ti's for all the channels or a pair of 22Ti's for the front with the VP150 center and the Qs4's out rear.
I'm 50%HT/30%Xbox/20% music.
I even considered M22Ti's all round including using one for the center, but I don't know if that's advisable ...
A rotel RSX-965 will be driving the speakers [150w per channel (75w RMS)] and I have a S1000 amp with a 15-46 CS+ ... but I'll be adding another 16-46 soon! :D
Anyway, all opinions welcome ...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Interesting guys, thanks for the thoughts. What's the opinon on using a third M3ti as a centre speaker?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Marcus Lewis,

Ya know Marcus, I'm not sure about that one (5 M3s, 5 M22s or M22s up front with the VP150 and QS4s). That sounds like a Marc H question! However, everything I've read points to the M22 as the best Axiom "bookshelf," so it may not be a bad idea to have them all around. But again, I'm not the expert...definitely check with Marc. I just wish I was nearer to Canada so I could check them out. Not that I'm not happy with my M50s...I certainly am. I just heard how amazing the M22s are!

Ron

eric_kl

Grip
Brian,
I think you are in luck. I have a pair of 3Tis that you can demo. If you like them, I will sell them. I also live in Coppell. e-mail me at [email protected] and we can arrange the details.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron, I'll put it to Marc, but I'm leaning towards the M22's all round ... It might be killer!

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I've talked to Marc H. on a few occasions and it seems he loved the results of M22's all around.

I personally have M3Ti's, M50Ti's and a VP100 and have been blown away by the performance. I wholeheartedly recommend Axiom, you'll be more then happy with the M3Ti's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks