What's new

Opinions needed SBS-01 vs Polk (1 Viewer)

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a new surround setup and I'd like to keep the cost down. Here's what I'm wondering.

Is the SBS-01 5 speaker setup without sub, priced at 599.99 worth the money over two sets of Polk R150's (or R15's) priced at 49.99 plus a Csi25 center channel at 69.99 adding up to a total of 170.00 before tax?

I was originally planing to go with the Polk setup when I saw the discount thread here but after checking out the portal page and then seeing the SBS-01's I decided I would get some opinions from you guys here before making my purchase. I have'nt found another HT forum with so many knowledgeable members so I value your opinions.

Ultimately, is the SBS-01 sound and build quality worth more than 3 times that of the Polk setup?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the context of HT, where sometimes paying alot more only yields a little more performance, it's hard to pay that much more for something that dosen't seem that much better. But I'd say the SVS's are a much better speaker than those Polks. 3 times more is hard to say. When it comes to speakers, research as much as possible and buy the best you can afford. You'll be better off in the long run.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

There are some very good reviews of the SVS speakers floating around. I have never heard them in person.

Regarding the Polks, are those sale prices that you listed? I have heard many Polk speakers, including the R15's. I think that Polk makes many very good sounding speakers, and some great sound ones too (LSi series.) The reason I ask about the prices is that the MSRP is higher than you listed so the actual price difference isn't 3X the SVS. (R15 @ $90 and CSi25 @ $200) If you can get those speakers at the prices you quoted, I think you would be getting a very good deal.

The bottom line with speakers is that you need to listen to them, I know its hard to do with on-line only companies.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Frys often puts the R series, both old and new, on sale for the prices listed and yes they are a very good value, though I prefer the older ones. But if Ryan can afford better speakers he should consider something else. BTW, I used Polk RTi's for over two years.

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith
Yes they are on sale, the R150's (or r15's) are regualar priced at 169.99 a pair (i believe) and the csi25 is 179.99 (i believe).

But the question as to whether or not the SBS-01's are worth almost triple the price still stands. I wish I had the money to buy both sets and test them side to side but I dont, I'm hoping someone on this site has heard both.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Polks don't stand a chance. I have heard the SBS-01s and I have a pair of R15s right now that I borrowed from a friend. R15s are normally 100/pr.

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith

Well I purchased the SBS-o1 5 channel system. I'm just now starting the process of breaking them in.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Have you considered any other ID brands' speakers? Are you open to any? There are some others out there besides the SVS for around the same price ($200~ per pair for mains). If you are open to other brands, I suggest you consider AV123's x-ls speakers along with the SBS-01s. They're both definitely above the level of the Polks.

You could always order a pair of the left/right speakers for both, or whatever brands you are considering, and try them in your home for a month. Your room and your equipment (mainly your room) has a huge effect on how any speaker will ultimately sound, so auditioning them in your home is the best way to see if you will like them and can live with them or not.

EDIT: Just saw your reply. Too late, I guess. But I'm sure you'll be happy with the SBS-01s, especially if they are your first decent set of speakers. And if not, they have a great return policy. You have to live with them, so make sure you like them. :D And FWIW, not everyone believes in speaker break-in. It could just as easily be your ears growing accustomed to the sound of the speakers, or "breaking your ears in". ;)

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
While I think Polk makes decent speakers I'll have to go with the SVS in this case. I'll agree with Brian; Speaker break-in is more of a myth and its just you yourself getting used to the speakers. Trust John's opinions as he has tried a lot of speakers and written some honest stuff about them.

mr.H

Grip
Real Name
Hermie
Congrats NovaBlitz on your new SVS!
You won't regret it Man!:emoji_thumbsup:
Enjoy!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Upgrade in a couple of months?!?! Geez I wish I could do that. I guess I need a better job :D

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith

Well the SVS is going in the main gameroom whereas the other (maybe AV123 xls's?) will go in the bedroom.

It's not that I have a great job or anything, but I'm selling all my old HT stuff along with some other things lying around for the money for the new stuff. It will cost me a little out of pocket, but only a little.

I had 2 pairs of Yamaha NS-10m's lying around that I made almost a grand selling on ebay. I had no idea how much they were worth and I just happened to look them up one day. Weird.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I had the budget R speakers for quite awhile and while they are great for the price (in fact I don't think anything competes at the loss leader Frys pricing), the SVS/SBS are much better. As Brian hints, the XL-Ss are better still. Since you've already made this choice, be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks