What's new

opinion on the purchase of a new tv (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bjballar41 said:
speaker wires for surround sound. if i got an avr how would that work with the hdmi? do i plug the xbox and blu ray into it? and chrome cast in tv? ive never used a avr or even messed with them im sorry for the newbieness
Everything(including the ChromeCast) connects to the AVR. It then sends the video to the TV.

How much stuff you have...determines the AVR. And you can use it with 2 or 3 speakers.

Running the surround is usually not an issue either. As they go to the sides...not the back. Unless you are in an apartment where you can't take up your baseboards...most people run the wire under them(if enough room to push under...depends on if you have carpet or hardwood).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bjballar41 said:
i do have carpet i maybe able to run 3. ill take a pic of how room is and see what u think can be done. i was just looking around and found this one. is this one a decent one?http://www.bestbuy.com/site/500w-5-1-ch-a-v-home-theater-receiver/8046066.p?id=1218863731300&skuId=8046066&st=categoryid$pcmcat309300050002&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications
We have a review thread for that AVR. I'm partial to the 475 because it offers HDMI pass through in standby. Meaning...If all you want to do is watch the evening news, turn your STB with the TV and the AVR doesn't need to be on. Otherwise, nothing wrong with the 375.Yes your left speaker would be tough, but...There are passive LCR bars(meaning, front and center are all connected to it) BIC has one in the PL range(although it is enormous).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Google(using phone, so can't link)...Leon HorizonThe basic 100 series(the series are numbered, whatever the lowest one) aren't overly expensive.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
i dont have an STB in this room so i dont think that would be a huge deal. I guess i would need to get something like a harmony remote to control everything.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Onkyo nr515(I think, or 616) comes with a remote that will run the entire show(minus gaming systems that use RF). Accessories4less has Yamaha and Onkyo. If you move up to $300-ish, you won't have to spend money on an extra remote.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
what actually can utilize this technology? is it beneficial to have it? wouldnt you need a 4k player or something like that? and its useless on plasma screen tvs right?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bjballar41 said:
what actually can utilize this technology?4K televisions. is it beneficial to have it?If you have the cash to buy into it before prices drop.wouldnt you need a 4k player or something like that?Yep. and its useless on plasma screen tvs right?Since there are no 4k plasma.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
if my cable comes out of the wall and goes straight to tv no box or hd or anything is there an upconvert for that on a receiver? or would i still hook it up to the tv?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bjballar41 said:
what actually can utilize this technology? is it beneficial to have it? wouldnt you need a 4k player or something like that? and its useless on plasma screen tvs right?
Good quality 1080p could potentially look really nice once upscaled on 4K televisions, 4K blu ray players should start to surface later this year or early next year, i am of the opinion that the price premium for these players won't add too much more to the cost of a blu ray player, of course my idea of not too much more is around $100 on top of the usual blu ray player price.
bjballar41 said:
so pointless for me. i want oled i saw one in best buy and fell in love.
I think it'll be about 2018 before we see affordable OLED, that is assuming 4K LCD doesn't kill off the market for them.

You should be able to plug your cable box straight into an AV Receiver, i assume it has an HDMI out, no need to upconvert the HD signal but if the television is 1080p it will naturally upscale any SD content to that, i prefer to use pass through on my receiver and let the television or projector handle the scaling and they do a great job of it too.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He doesn't have a STB. Plug your cable into the TV. "HD or not" depends on what your cable provider allows without a STB. I would suggest OTA as well.Connect your TV's audio output to the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks