What's new

Opie and Anthony's latest bit is the best radio I have ever heard! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It seems like Opie and Anthony are making certain
that Howard Stern has no virgin territory to conquer
when he arrives on satellite radio.

The latest Opie and Anthony bit, Tissue Time
is the hottest programming that I have ever heard
broadcast on radio. Listeners of O&A are already
heralding this as the best radio they ever have heard
as well.

I'm interested to hear how many of you out there
have heard the bit and what you think. I'll let
you guys elaborate on what it's all about if you
care to do so.

Until them, tune into XM 202!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm not a huge O&A Fan but I'll try to check it out I just bought my 3rd XM Radio a Roadie XT could'nt pass it up with Xm's Holiday Promo $29.95.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Tissue Time with Heidi Cortez (and later "Blue Iris")is a Howard Stern creation and has been on Howard 100 since last month. It was Howard's brainchild that came about on the air. These two idiots are so desperate and have elevated to not only ripping off Stern's old material...but his new material as well. Pathetic.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tom,

Actually....

It is my understanding that it is a "spoof" rather
than a rip-off of what Howard is doing.

Click Here

The boys are simply getting under Howard's skin.

If you knew the story of how Howard tried to manipulate
and destroy their careers a few years ago you would
better understand the war that is heating up between
these two radio talents. It's going to make for
interesting radio :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
So far, "Tissue Time with Beth and Allison" has been the best installment of O & A's idea. :)

See yah!

(As they said the other day, the bit is really called "Getting under someone's skin". 'Bout time)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)

Well, this so called "war" is all on their end, not Howard's. Howard doesn't pay any attention to these idiots, nor should he. If I found two guys trying to steal my identity, material, and a persona I worked on for years...I would want their careers destroyed too.

Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And Ron, that press release, dated December 7, calls this program "revolutionary". Yet on Stern's site you can read the reactions to the first broadcast on Howard 100. That was on November 13! I'd hardly call the rip off revolutionary.

Douglas_C

Auditioning

I wonder if he doesn't pay attention.

The guy had O&A muzzled when they worked alongside Stern at Infinity Broadcasting. Stern hates them. You think he doesn't care? Call Stern and ask about Imus, he'll rant about what a jerk he is, call him, talk about his daughters, etc. Call Stern and ask about O&A... and you'll hear nothing but dump. Come January, I wonder if that will still be the case.

Sure, O&A share similarities to Stern - they're both on the radio and both shows appeal to a male audience. This "clone" idea is nothing but a Stern construct applied to any other radio show. If people that accused them of "love me daddy" actually listened, they'd understand they're two completely different shows.

I used to love Stern - hell, I still do - but his show is nothing compared to O&A. Listening to Stern, I never heard anything as clever or nuanced as O&A. Give me Jim Norton and Anthony Cumia talking about being "corrected" any day!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Exactly. What they're doing is making fun of him and his lunacy of "I invented everything currently on TV and radio." He's gone so far as to claim even shows such as "The View" and *all* reality shows have come from him. Since he has recently admitted that he hasn't done a decent radio show in 10 years (I'll actually give him more than that, he's only been coasting really badly since Billy West and then Jackie left) his claims of being some sort of genius innovator - especially since virtually every bit he claims as his own was done previously on broadcast TV and radio (Soupy Sales, Steve Allen, Bob Grant, et al) - are starting to fall on deaf ears. Hence O & A stealing the name of his latest bit and then claiming it as their own. It's mockery of the highest order.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Tom,

I truly do respect your opinions regarding
Stern and Opie and Anthony.

However, I do feel that everyone who expresses
the opinions you have need to know the whole story.

The following is based upon stories that Opie
and Anthony have discussed on their radio show
countless times....

Opie and Anthony grew up listening to and
admiring Howard Stern. There is no doubt
that Stern was an influence on their radio
careers.

However, when they came face-to-face with their
radio idol, they realized what a total ass the
man really was.

This war was started by Howard. He became highly
frustrated that Opie and Anthony were stealing his
thunder on FM radio. When O&A came to the same radio
company Stern was at, Howard made certain that O&A
were not put into the same time slot as him. Soon
after, he had the boys thrown out of a company party
that he was attending simply because he felt
threatened by them.

As soon as the boys went on air to talk about
their experiences with Stern, Howard had gag
orders put on the boys just so they couldn't
mention his name on the air.

Stern has spent his entire radio career making
cruel jokes about people, yet the moment someone
turns the tables on him, Howard goes after that
person with a vengeance.

There is so much more to this story that you don't
know including the fact that Howard is a huge crybaby
who has been running to Mel Karmazin for years
whenever someone is badmouthing him.

Howard can dish it out -- but he certainly can't
take his own medicine. That is why so many people
have lost respect for him.

As far as Howard not paying attention....

Oh, but he does. According to information
Opie and Anthony obtained, Stern has XM radio
installed in his limo (he even pitched XM radio
on his show) and has listened to the O&A show
to hear first-hand the criticism that is being
flung at him.

Personally, I don't hate Stern. In fact, I can't
even say I dislike him. I do think Stern has a
great deal of talent and years of experience behind
him. However, like with any aging talent, there
is always someone younger and fresher out
there with more "edge." I truly feel that Opie
and Anthony have that "edge" that Howard lost
years ago.

When Howard makes his debut on satellite radio
next month, there is nothing he can do that O&A
haven't done already. In fact, this "spoof" that
O&A are airing at this moment probably takes radio
to its most profane limits. Not much you can do
beyond that.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
But Ron, you linked to a press release that you said was going to explain this "spoof" thing. It doesn't. It truly makes it look like an original bit, which it clearly isn't. So what we have here is an official bit of documentation hailing this as an original bit while the fans say it's a parody. So which is it?

Either way, it's a rip off.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
One of the funniest things about this who incident, is that Opie & Anthony unveiled their "new" idea the morning after Howard was pitching it as one of the greatest radio ideas ever on 60 Minutes. The point is, that clearly, it sucks. After about 30 seconds even the most voyeuristic among us will be bored, but this was one of the things Howard listed as his biggest selling point on Sirius.

The press release just took things to the next level when O&A fans got a press release about the bit sent out on PRNewswire and picked up on many media outlets.

It is clearly getting under Stern's skin. Howard doesn't ignore O&A, and now, they are his main competetion. Allegedly, when Opie and Anthony's first contract with Infinity ended, they were basically #1 in New York Drive, and Infinity broadcasting gave them their "absolute best offer". Clear Channel, who ran a Classic Rock channel in New York, which was being run by one of Opie's Long Island Radio Mentors, wanted them to compete in AM drive with Stern. They offered them a big salary bump, along with syndication to about a dozen or so cities. When they informed Infinity they were leaving and word got around they were going to go against Stern, Infinity matched the money and gave them even more syndication. Then within a few weeks of O&A being fired over the Saint Pat's misunderstanding, they were offered the spot in New York on CC's Q104.3, but they were never "fired" by Infinity. Their show was cancelled and they were paid for 2 years, and kept off the air. The only way they could get out of the deal and get back on the air was to sign a contract stipulating that they would pay $100,000 if they ever mentioned any current, future, or past Infinity employee on the air (Stern).

So O&A sat out, and came to XM. Let the patBattle Begin.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

....if I may be so bold, Sir

Tom,

It's clearly parody. It is being made to look serious as part of the joke. But yes, at the same time it's purpose is to get under Stern's skin and expose how lame it is. If they called the bit something other than what Stern has already named, then you might say it's a rip-off. But the fact that they are calling it "Tissue Time with Beth and Alison" should make it clear that it is a parody of Stern.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
The guy who typed up the press release posts on my message board....believe me, it was meant to do EXACTLY what it did...piss off Stern fans AND Stern.

The problem with alot of the die-hard Stern fans these days, is that they have NO sense of humor regarding themselves or Howard...and that's why I'm proud to not be in that camp anymore, as I once was.

Tissue Time is asinine...and ONLY funny in the context by which O&A are doing it. Stern has become a parody of himself.

"Let Freedom Ring...And Let It Be Rung By A Stripper"

Please. :rolleyes

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
The thing is, I actually do have a sense of humor about Stern, but the same fans of O&A who claim all Stern fans believe whatever "hooknose" tells them and thinks he created everything are basically regurgitating whatever O&A tell them to believe on their show. So, it’s a bit of a double standard. They use the same tactics, as most radio personalities do.

The smart fans know that Howard likes to bend his own version of reality... and yes there are fans out there who think anything he says is the gospel truth… but as a long time listener, I am not one of those people. No, he didn't invent everything that is currently on TV and radio. While I'll disagree with his claims that Jay Leno totally ripped of his ideas for "Jaywalking", it is hard to argue that the show "Street Smarts" is a direct rip of his homeless game/stripper game and "Are You Hot?" was a direct result of when Howard & co. would evaluate women in the studio. So he does have a point when he goes off on how people rip him off, but its where he blankets everything and says EVERYONE rips him off that gets him into trouble. With other radio people, it’s a little more difficult to figure out. I listened to O&A on occasion when they were on WNEW and occasionally have downloaded their XM show (usually when they go off on Howard like Friday), and to me… their whole dog and pony show is extracted from what Howard was doing years ago. It’s apparent even in the way they talk and the words they use. Fans of theirs can call it “influenced by”, “raised on Stern” or “younger and fresher”, etc… to my ears its just a lame rip off, and I can’t take guys like that seriously. I don’t care about their opinions or viewpoints, to me its like listen to two guys off the street, so I would never listen. To me, they are like a Beatles cover band…who cover the early years…. But I’m sorry…as a Beatles fan, I happen to like the entire back catalog, and honestly…. I would rather see the Beatles than guys pretending to be the Beatles.

As for "the whole story" I do know the deal...I have heard their version of it... how "hooknose" did this and "hooknose" did that...Infinity wouldn't let them out of their contract if they were going to be talking about Howard, blah blah.. But what one calls "stealing Howard's thunder on FM radio" I call "ripping off", so it always will come down to which show you support and what kind of fan you are. As for “Howard doesn’t pay any attention to them” … I am referring to on the air. He rarely mentions them, and if he does…I’m sure people in other markets have no idea who he is talking about… so why bother. As for him fixating them off the air, I’m sure he does… not sure about “secret inside info” about him having an XM in his limo…but regardless.

O&A aren't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things to Stern or Stern fans, they are just an annoyance. Most of their fanbase comes from the NY/NJ area. They aren't nationally popular like Stern is, and they wouldn't make or break a satellite radio company like Stern is going to. These two were kicked off regular radio for being morons, and had no choice but to crawl to both satellite companies (whether they waited out their contract or not). Many people feel they will eventually be fired from XM as well... just look at the negative press they are getting from their recent moronic stunts with people interrupting newscasts. The guy with the air horn in the reporter’s ear? Wow, great press there… that was a real gem…. so moronic. I didn’t see anyone post that in the XM press release forum (um, I mean the Satellite radio forum).

The Stern show has always been one of peaks and valleys. There has been good radio and subpar radio…. The golden ages, silver ages, bronze Ages and pokadot ages… have all come, gone and come back again. However, I have never felt Stern lost his edge or became not funny… lost his connection a bit to the common listener compared to 20 years ago? Probably… but not enough to make me jump ship to some other show that essentially does his act. With that logic, I guess O&A fans will switch to another show that is “fresh and new” 10-15 years from now (assuming they will be around for that long).

Bottom line is Stern is going to be selling more satellite radios than these two ever did. That’s a fact. For that reason and the reasons I mentioned above, I do not consider O&A pioneers of satellite radio, or anything else. We'll see where the two companies (and shows) stand a year or two from now. I’m not blinded by Stern, I judge things for myself, and these are just my opinions.. my two cents on the matter… is it biased? Sure, I’m a Stern fan…. Will further posts by O&A fans be biased? Sure… they are O&A fans. It’s kind of like sports…. You are going to support your team, and I will support mine.

William Laughner

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron, here is an idea. Why don't you change this forum from "Satellite Radio" to "XM and the greatness of Opie & Anthony"?

Everytime i visit this forum it is nothing but an irritating love fest for XM and Opie & Anthony...and it all stems from your posts. Being a Moderator and Co-Founder of this site I think its in extremely bad taste to use a forum that is supposed to be used to discuss the ongoings of Satellite Radio to constantly promote XM and Opie & Anthony.

The top of the page has a link to XM411.com why not a link to SiriusBackstage.com?

Have you noticed that everything you post is Pro-XM? I can understand getting behind a service you enjoy, but there is a point where it becomes fanatical. Everything becomes an unpleasant debate in this forum with you spouting the same XM and Opie & Anthony rhetoric at every person that owns or even considers purchasing Sirius.

I think people who own Sirius are actually turned off by this forum and don't want to post because of your fanatic stance against Sirius.

I have been a member of the HTF since 1999. I used to visit everyday to read the posts and sometimes participate. I find myself visiting less and less now because everytime i get to this "Satellite Radio" forum I get upset at the lack of actual discussion of Satellite Radio and the constant praise of XM from you.

Quite frankly Ron, your a little too intense when it comes to this subject anymore.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
i agree with tom and William's post.one thing that never gets brought up in here is that o&a were let go by a stunt thats against the law.also they were paid till the end of their contract.and as for Howard whinnig about them to the heads of infinity. hes the bread winner for that company.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
one more thing you dont think O&a dont have sirius. oooh look howard listens to xm .

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
William,

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the
emphasis being put on XM radio within this area.

As I have discussed previously, it is true that
I use this area to exclusively promote XM and its
programming. After a personal bad experience
directly involving Sirius Radio management, I
vowed that I would not recommend its service nor
company.

That hasn't stopped this forum from allowing any of
its members to post press releases or other information
pertaining to Sirius radio. You will notice that I
have not stepped into any of those threads to change
the direction of the discussion.

However, should anyone come to this forum asking for
advice on either service, I am going to offer my opinion
but certainly also welcome any counter-opinions.

I am most certainly at fault here for overpromoting
XM radio, and I am sure that it has discouraged quite
a few members in the process. I apologize to those
members and encourage them to post as many Sirius
related questions and/or articles as they wish.

At the same time, I am going to continue to promote
anything related to XM radio.

Thanks for expressing your concerns, and my apologies
again for turning you off to this area.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Ron, while I can appreciate your personal biases towards Sirius, is it really fair to turn off people to Sirius and this forum just because of that? I think it is pretty unprofessional and petty as the owner of this very respected forum.

Since my last post, I have received more than a few private messages from other members who are Sirius supporters who are also turned off from posting in here because of the fanboy nature of your XM posts. They simple won't post here despite being Sirius radio owners. The numerous press release posts here can come off as childish, and just appear like you try to flood the forum with XM press releases to burry anything Sirius related.

I would like you to strongly consider splitting the Satellite Radio forums into seperate sections. One for Sirius and one one for XM, having a different moderator for the Sirius forum. People here seem to be pretty split both with the service and the content and lead to heated discussions at times, which you yourself do not want on this forum. I think having different forums will avoid petty feuding and "my show is better than yours" discussions, and your numerous XM posts won't offend us Sirius supporters. This way it can just be talking about your favorite services and shows, and newbies can still check out the merits of both. I think that both services are now big enough to support two seperate forums, especially after this holiday season. You wouldn't be doing it for the Sirius service itself, but for a large portion of your membership. I think it is a very fair resolution and I hope you will consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks