What's new

Operation Petticoat on Blu (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just finished watching this Olive release and I have to ask: Where did they get this transfer? It's scratch and dust city!

Even though it isn't anamorphic, the old Artisan DVD looks much better, even when it's artificially enlarged by the television. The audio is a clean mono mix, but that's all I can say for this disk.

A very disappointing release of a film I like a lot.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Mine hasn't arrived yet. I don't buy many Olive titles unless they are on sale and I've seen the review. I preordered both this and Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid--two of my period favorites.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Rick Thompson said:
Even though it isn't anamorphic, the old Artisan DVD looks much better, even when it's artificially enlarged by the television. The audio is a clean mono mix, but that's all I can say for this disk.
Wow!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rick Thompson said:
Just finished watching this Olive release and I have to ask: Where did they get this transfer? It's scratch and dust city!

A very disappointing release of a film I like a lot.
Interesting, I'll watch my BD today and make my direct comparisons with the DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I thought the old Artisan transfer was god-awful. I can't imagine that, even with some dirt and scratches (which we know is a part of some Olive releases), this is going to be a big improvement.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick said:
I thought the old Artisan transfer was god-awful. I can't imagine that, even with some dirt and scratches (which we know is a part of some Olive releases), this is going to be a big improvement.
My thinking too, but will verify for myself later today.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Robert Crawford said:
My thinking too, but will verify for myself later today.
I'll be interested to hear your take on it. Mine is coming from Deep Discount ($6 less than Amazon), so it isn't here yet.

Speaking of which, Deep Discount seems to be lowering prices on Olive Blu-rays a couple of months after they come out. DD is currently charging $15.89 for Flying Tigers. It's $19.16 at Amazon and $21.36 at Import CDs.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Dick said:
I'd consider it an improvement if it were "some dirt and scratches," but except for a few brief sequences, it looks like the kind of projection of a much-used print you used to see at a third-run moviehouse.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick said:
I just watched the BD in its entirety and to me, it's a typical Olive BD release. I then compared the Artisan DVD and in my opinion, I thought the BD had more detail which isn't surprising and is an improvement over the DVD. Sure, there are some scenes especially some optical ones that are rough, but overall, I thought the BD is watchable to me. Do I wish it looked better? Hell, I wish every Olive release looked better than what we've seen so far from them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
I just watched the BD in its entirety and to me, it's a typical Olive BD release. I then compared the Artisan DVD and in my opinion, I thought the BD had more detail which isn't surprising and is an improvement over the DVD. Sure, there are some scenes especially some optical ones that are rough, but overall, I thought the BD is watchable to me. Do I wish it looked better? Hell, I wish every Olive release looked better than what we've seen so far from them.
I agree with your assessment. It is better than the DVD in many ways but it still could have been a much better Blu-ray.I am pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the film, director, or stars.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I thought the picture was MUCH better than the Artisan DVD - I was expecting a grunge-fest, but it looked pretty good on my 50" Panny plasma. Sure, it's not reference quality, but I wasn't really expecting that.

Overall, very happy to finally turn my non-anamorphic DVD into a coaster!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Randy_M said:
I thought the picture was MUCH better than the Artisan DVD - I was expecting a grunge-fest, but it looked pretty good on my 50" Panny plasma. Sure, it's not reference quality, but I wasn't really expecting that.

Overall, very happy to finally turn my non-anamorphic DVD into a coaster!
I may be a minority, but that blu has way more dropouts than I've ever seen in a commercial release, and my 65" screen made them VERY obvious.The Artisan has nowhere near as many, even enlarged by the TV. Question: why didn't they use the same copy of the film for the blu? I can't imagine that Artisan did that much work to the copy it used for its source. If this blu had the same number of dropouts (or even a few more) as the DVD, I'd be happy. As it is, I put the blu in a two-disk case and am keeping the Artisan DVD with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rick Thompson said:
I may be a minority, but that blu has way more dropouts than I've ever seen in a commercial release, and my 65" screen made them VERY obvious.The Artisan has nowhere near as many, even enlarged by the TV. Question: why didn't they use the same copy of the film for the blu? I can't imagine that Artisan did that much work to the copy it used for its source. If this blu had the same number of dropouts (or even a few more) as the DVD, I'd be happy. As it is, I put the blu in a two-disk case and am keeping the Artisan DVD with it.
It probably did with DVD, but at 480p, it's not as noticeable as you do with the 1080p presentation.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
There were a lot of dupes cut in for opticals and effects shots, so there is an above average amount of screen time where the picture quality suffers a bit due to the usual fading, grain and other anomalies that are associated with these dupes.Olive did well with what they had to work with and IMHO the Blu-ray looks better than any previous television, home video, DVD or 35mm revival screenings I've ever seen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eastmancolor said:
There were a lot of dupes cut in for opticals and effects shots, so there is an above average amount of screen time where the picture quality suffers a bit due to the usual fading, grain and other anomalies that are associated with these dupes.Olive did well with what they had to work with and IMHO the Blu-ray looks better than any previous television, home video, DVD or 35mm revival screenings I've ever seen.
Yup, that's my opinion of this BD. I wish it could have looked better, but I can live with it.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
Yup, that's my opinion of this BD. I wish it could have looked better, but I can live with it.
Mine too....just watched it. Its one of those we could wish had a full "restoration" but that's never gonna happen so I can totally be happy with this....the best it will ever look on home media.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Robert Crawford said:
Hell, I wish every Olive release looked better than what we've seen so far from them.
I haven't seen that many Olive releases, but I quite like the ones I have seen. They look very much like watching a freshly struck 35mm print. To me, that's the ultimate goal of home theatre - to feel like I'm watching the film on opening night in a good theatre.

There are many highly-lauded blu-rays that look too clean and scrubbed. Jaws, for example, looks very good, but really looks nothing like it did in 35mm prints.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
They look very much like watching a freshly struck 35mm print. To me, that's the ultimate goal of home theatre - to feel like I'm watching the film on opening night in a good theatre.

There are many highly-lauded blu-rays that look too clean and scrubbed. Jaws, for example, looks very good, but really looks nothing like it did in 35mm prints.
I so agree, Worth. I'm generalizing here but I suspect many HTFers are more techie and home theater oriented (duh! It's called HTF) than movie lovers. I still go to the movies at least once a week (I'm catching a matinee of Bong's Snowpiercer in about 2 hours) but so many have the "Oh, I'll wait and get the blu and watch it on my 55" screen" attitude. And why do I suspect when and if Altman's great McCabe And Mrs. Miller ever makes it to blu, there will be complaints about about how dark and grainy it looks? Well, maybe Warners will clean and scrub it for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks