What's new

Open to suggestions/advice/recommendations for 16 x 20 HT w/ $6500 :confused: (1 Viewer)

xmagoo190

Auditioning
Real Name
Vick
The wife and I are building a new home and I've got the "OK" to build a home theater in our basement with a $6500 electronics budget (must include screen). Here's what I've come up with based on feedback from some friends: My "Proposed" Setup ($6500 budget):
  • Rear Spk: ML Motion 12 ($279/ea)
  • Front Spk: ML ESL ($800/ea local)
  • Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-35 ($749 @ Costco)
  • Amp: Open to discussion
  • Center: Open to discussion
  • Sub: Open to discussion
  • Screen: Panasonic 65" VT30 ($2700 @ local)
  • Room Dimensions: 16 x 19 w/ sound attenuation paneling
  • Proposed Use: 30/70: Music/Movies.
    • I've heard the ML"s at my local BB and was impressed, though I've heard they're more for music. I'm open to suggestions. As always, your help is appreciated! :confused:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The center should also be from ML. I don't know anything about ML's so I can't help you there. Pioneer is an excellent choice for movies/tv. Very clear and detailed sound and it has a thing called Dialog Enchancement that can be pretty effective. Marantz might be a bit better for music. $6700 seems like a lot for a 65" plasma these days. Got a Fry's near you? For the sub, the usual suspects are SVS, Elemental Designs, HSU, Lava and one other I can't seem to think of at the moment. Internet direct subwoofers usually offer the best value. Don't know enough about amps either but Emotiva seems to get a lot of recommendations.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
As Gene stated, the center should be the same brand as your fronts. However, I'm not a big fan of these new Martin Logan lines, certainly not the same quality they used to be. For $6500 I'd recommend the following: Monitor: The Panasonic you cite is ok but I would pick-up the equivalent Samsung if I had the choice. $2700 Speakers: Axiom Audio Epic 50-350 (http://axiomaudio.com/epic50_350.html). $2300

xmagoo190

Auditioning
Real Name
Vick
John Brill said:
For $6500 I'd recommend the following: Monitor: The Panasonic you cite is ok but I would pick-up the equivalent Samsung if I had the choice. $2700 Speakers: Axiom Audio Epic 50-350 (http://axiomaudio.com/epic50_350.html). $2300

xmagoo190

Auditioning
Real Name
Vick
gene c said:
. $6700 seems like a lot for a 65" plasma these days. Got a Fry's near you?.
The 65" VT30 came in at about $4399 but I'm waiting for the price point to hit $2500-$2600 before I pull the trigger. The only way I'd go Samsung 8000 series is if I find a really good deal on an open box one.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry, I meant $2700, not $6700. Anyway, browsing the local adds even $2500 seems a bit steep to me but maybe the VT series is worth the extra cost. On amps, I also have little experience with them. I just picked up an SC-35 and I have to say, even though it's more than enough for me I don't find it all that powerfull. If those ML's are power hungry or you listen at high volumes in a large room a good two channel amp to power the fronts might be a good idea. But you can always add that later if you feel you need to.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
If you go to the Axiom Forums, you can usually find someone local willing to let you audition. Unfortunately, Axiom, like Emotiva, is an internet based company that cuts out the middle man to save you money. I've have a couple of buddies who went the Axiom route and they don't regret it. They are not B&W's and Snell's but they are a fraction of the price. I'd compare them to PSB quality and sound wise. The Martin Logans you are looking at are fairly efficient and most likely will not need external amplification. As Gene stated, if you choose to get them, try them without an external amp. If you find they are underpowered, get yourself an Emotiva UPA-2. Unfortunately Martin Logan has gone the Paradigm route of Asian manufacturing and now have a lot of plastic in them. Not sure I'd want them for the long haul. JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks