What's new

Open box items, would you buy one? (1 Viewer)

AllanR

Auditioning
I hope it works out for you.

This episode reinforces my original answer near the top of this thread, which is: I never go for used or especially open boxed or floor model items.

Too risky, too much margin of error for hassle. If you know how to shop around at ALL, even 100 percent legit, you can get new items for the prices some of you probably thinking are such great deals on used or opened box items.

Take a look at some of the sales on NEW items places like One Call or Vanns are having right now. Countless examples of legit dealers like that out there.

I just bought a NEW HK 635 AVR for $818. The MSRP is $1299. From a 100 percent legit dealer. No tax, either. You really can't do much better than that, imho.

I just don't see any incentive to go below that line when I can get new hardware that easily and for those kinds of great prices.

It appears you are in the minority here as many have posted there satisfaction with purchasing open box items. If you choose not to, then that's strictly your business and definitely you're entitled to that, but there is no reason to pass judgement not only once, but twice to a person that bought a BRAND new item that the box seal had been broken and was able to save some money. If he was satisfied with the purchase, then that's all that matters. ;)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Off the top of my head the only pieces of gear that I would never consider buying open boxed, refurbished or used are speakers or televisions. It's less likley that a DVD player or receiver will have hidden damage that goes unnoticed during the first month of using it but will creep up on you this time next year (aka long after you'll be able to take it back to the store to get your money back no questions asked).

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
I recently bought open box versions of the Denon 3910 and 3805. Both had been messed with as Demo units. I called Denon tech support for the reset sequence and had both units reset to factory default. I did a calibration for my system and then all was perfect after that.

Full warranty and lower cost. Good combination. :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Two years ago I purchased an H/K 525 (msrp $800) for $299, an H/K CD 8380 ($199) for $99 and an H/K CDR 20 ($399) for $49! All were open box but had not been hooked up. The wires were still factory wrapped. No problems yet. Getting greedy, I then bought an H/K DVD 5 (msrp was $499 when it was built in 6/2000) for $149 from FRY's which matched the other components. This was a VERY open box unit. It's going into the shop soon for the 3rd time as the warranty expires in Feb. Anyway, buying open box or used electronics is risky but the rewards can be great. Buying new as closeouts is better but you have to act quickly. Fry's had the H/K 635 for $499 a couple of weeks ago but for one day only. I would buy open box if the price was right, and with full warranty, but not from Fry's. Customers are too hard on their display units.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
You would be surprised how much open box stuff was literally taken home, opened, played with for a few hours, then returned.

Obviously, each item is different, but if you are careful, and inspect the product, you can save 10-20% easily for a product that has a few HOURS of use and NO DAMAGE, WEAR, OR ANYTHING wrong with it.

Does getting my Klipsch Chorus II's for $100 a pair at a pawn shop count as open box :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To me, that would have to be classified as used. Open box items come with a warranty from the original retailer. Without a warranty, I would consider it used. But I'm nit-picking here. If it's a great bargain and it works, who cares what you call it?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Obviously you need to be carefull but Eric a refurb is a totally different animal then an open box item

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Gene:

The speakers I paid $100 a pair for, inc. sales tax, go for $800 or more on eBay. In 1990, they sold for $1,700 a pair. They sound as good as they day they left Hope, Arkansas :D

BIG difference between remanufactured and open box. If it is a refurb unit, you know it probably broke and was fixed. Yes, I would want a good discount. If you are at your local electronics store and there is a receiver sitting in the box with the tape cut open, and it is obviously it has not even been out of the box, or the power cord is still wrapped up, that might be a hint you can save some money, and the only difference if the tape has been cut!

AllanR

Auditioning
I've purchased many demo, open box and refurbs in the past but my best deals were, one was a Denon Tuner I purchased for my Denon AVC 3030. It was a Denon TU-650 (list price of $600.00) I believe and it was a display unit at Magnolia Hi Fi. I didn't really need much of a tuner, but wanted one for the occasional time I wanted to listen to the radio so I was going to pick up a cheap $100.00 Kenwood tuner, but instead found the Denon demo for $125.00. I used it for a couple years and then when I upgraded to the Denon AVR 4800 I didn't need it anymore so I sold it for $300.00. Not bad for a couple years worth of use. The other great deal I got was on a pair of Polk FX500 surround speakers. Good Guys had them on demo for $100.00 for the pair. After getting them home, I don't think they were even ever taken out of the box. Still using them to this day.

Oh, by the way, I'm also posting this message on a Dell refurb computer that I got for $800.00 and was regularly $1200.00.:D

Phil_L

Second Unit
I have a chance to get a Sony DVD Player (DVP-NS775) at CC for $80, it is usually $130. I heard CC will negotiate price on open box stuff, but do I need to get a manager to negotiate or will the salesperson on the floor be able to do it?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
get a manager but I doubt that price will go lower on the player. thats dirt cheap and BB wont touch that price on the same open box item.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks