What's new

Open air or closed audio racks and why ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Open air or closed audio racks and why ?...I'm in the market for a new audio rack and I'm undecided on which type to get.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
If you plan on owning separates in the future, go with a no side rack. Perform a search, keyword rack(that should generate some interesting comments)and you will see several other members who asked the same question.
I own a Sanus rack myself. www.audioadvisor.com

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I can think of two reasons to go with open air - airflow/heat dissipation, and no reflective glass surfaces to mess up the sound.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
One other advantage of open racks is that some of the models are expandable. For instance mine (I don't remember the brand) came with four shelves and I've added two matching shelves on type.
So in addition to heat dissipation you get flexibility.

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of flexibility, a home built flexy rack can combine the best of open air design, flexibility, and cost. I plan to build one for my next rack, at least.

FrankC

Agent
I'm partial to the open air kind as well, for the reasons already given.
I use the Salamander Synergy and have been very happy with it. Now that I've taken my first step towards separates with the purchase of 3 Le Amp monoblocks, I'm very pleased that the Synergy rack is expandable -- because I need the space!
--f

GregJ

Agent
I like the open type not only for ventilation but also because it's easier to deal with the wiring. Open racks are helpful if you have equipment of different sizes from various manufactures.
Greg

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
For instance mine (I don't remember the brand)
If you own it, how can you not remember the brand?
Just wondering.
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Because I went to a store and said "Ooh, I like that one." and bought it. Then I went back to the store and said "I bought a rack here a while back and I don't remember the brand, but I need another shelf." And the guy said, "Oh, do you have this one?" and I said "Yes." and he said "Here you go."
Well I managed to track it down. Its made by Paradigm Electronics. I thought that's what it was, but it just didn't seem right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks