Onyko TX-NR1008 for $550?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mulalleybs, Aug 3, 2012.

1. mulalleybs

mulalleybs Stunt Coordinator

I saw it on CL for 700 and talked them down to 550, but it's still a hour and a half drive from where I'll be at, so should I even bother buying the receiver or should I just wait for a better deal?
    I also don't have any surrounds at the moment and will probably only do a 5.1 or 7.1 system once I do buy them.
    The theater will also be used for music/movies about 50/50, but I have 2 Infinity SM152s for the 2 channel system for music and I plan on doing a DIY 18" sub for the bass.
    If there would be a better receiver to get for a better price please feel free to suggest them.
    Thanks,
    Brett

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Where are you so I can go get it for that price...since you don't know if 3 hours is worth it...
    By the way, assuming nothing is wrong with it, $550 is a bargain. Most of them on Ebay still hit $650 and you have to pay $50 in shipping.

3. mulalleybs

mulalleybs Stunt Coordinator

haha I'll take it that means I should go get it. I'm in savannah, but I'm going to be near atlanta for a few days and thats where its at.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I once drove a 4500 mile roadtrip to pick up a pair of Apogee Centaur and a McIntosh MC1000.
    The Apogee were in Idaho, the McIntosh was in northern Arizona. I lived in Indianapolis at the time and had a weeks vacation coming.
    Borrowed an enclosed trailer and pulled it behind my Miata.

5. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Epic!

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That MC1000 is an interesting story and why you don't "tell a half truth to a GF"...
    Anyway, at the time a sidejob(and sorta still is) was buying and selling used AV equipment.
    I found a guy moving out of state with two "not quite functioning" MC1000 that he was willing to let go of for $1000. Of course I couldn't pass that up. Picked em up and dropped off at a stereo fix-it place in Indianapolis. In about 6 weeks, and $1500 later...the two amps were fixed.
    When the GF wasn't home I slipped them into my home theater. Yep, two amps that I had $2500 in.
    They were there for 3 weeks when the day comes she decides its time to "really clean the house"...
    Of course, I'm not home...
    I get a phone call of "What the #$%) is this $*# *@*$ @&*%*#$ thing in the house???"
    She googled them and saw what their value was and wondered how I hid "that much cash"...
    Anyway, after the explanation of "Considering their worth, I don't really have that much in them"...
    She let me keep them as long as "the entire time there are listed for sale"...
    In the meantime found the other one so I could run matching amps across the front channel. I did eventually sell the three amps combined for a nice profit...which promptly paid for a vacation...