Only Toshiba DVD players have ZOOM function?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Dec 10, 2001.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got the Toshiba SD-1600, which has a zoom feature, with three levels; the newer -1700 has four levels of zoom. This weekend, I went looking for a DVD/changer for my dad (decided on the Panny -51), and I was surprised that no other player seemed to have a zoom feature.

Is this the case? Do only Toshiba players have the picture zoom function?

I'd think this is such a basic function every system would have it. Further, it is extremely useful for us 27", non-HD TV owners. I zoom to read credits, or examine small picture details that I can't otherwise see.

2. JoeMac

JoeMac Auditioning

The new JVC DVD players have a better zoom than the toshiba. I have the XV-SA75 and you can not only zoom, but you can move the picture around after you are zoomed in. The SA70 and 65 and 60, all the way to the SA40 have the same function I believe.

3. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

The new Marantz players also have the zoom feature.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

The Toshibas also let you move the zoomed picture.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

6. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Pardon me while I post something not really necessary in this thread, but here's an intersting take on zooms I ran across while researching DVD players to buy my dad for xmas...

"I bought mine becuase I like zoom features. becuase there are alot of dvd that you rent or buy that are in widescreen and I dont like the black bars on top and bottom of the screens, it is very annoying ,the problem with zooming on any dvd is that you lose vision on the left and right of the screen, the fact that this dvd player had screen fit was an outstanding feature that I just loved,becuase now when i put a widescreen movie on my 60" t.v.I can enjoy watching it in full screen without having those annoying black bars that make my 60" look like a 32"