Only Fools and Horses ...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil White, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I can never get search to work as expected ...

Has anyone heard anything regarding a R1 release of seasons 4 and up for the British comedy Only Fools and Horses? I have the seasons 1-3 box set and I'm eagerly awaiting a release of additional seasons. Boy I hope 1-3 sold enough to warrant another lot!

N

2. Neil White

Bumpage...

Anyone?

N

3. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

I'd like to help, but I really have no idea - your best bet at the moment is to get 4 to 6 in R2. They are very overpriced though - make sure it's worth it. [​IMG]

4. Neil White

Wesley, I've considered getting an all-region player before just because I have to have Auf Wiedersehen on DVD (have the two old series on VHS and it's seriously bad). There's no chance of AW being released on R1 as I don't believe it has ever been shown in the US (no one would understand a word). As for the recent series, well I'll never see them otherwise. I'm an expat and remember the originals on TV the first time around.

Maybe Only Fools... is the push I need to get into region-free.

Thanks,

N

5. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Don't forget PAL discs are 50hz, you might see the flicker- that's if your display can show 50hz, unless your DVD player can convert PAL to NTSC- and can do a good job of it.

I buy the R1 versions of the UK shows because 50hz flicker (on a UK 50hz TV) is unbearable, and I think 100hz (which will remove 50hz flicker) sets are poo. NTSC is nice and flicker free. And in most cases our TV shows when they're released over in the US they're better (ie Blackadder boxset) Daft!

Why not buy a single PAL DVD and see if it works, then perhaps start buying R2/R4 PAL discs?

6. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

you must have very strange eyes then John!

50hz flicker is unbearable... I find this a totally bizzare statement.

Agree with you however re the state of some of the R2 releases, fortunately modern PAL to NTSC transfers are excellent.

7. Neil White

Hey John, the region free players over here normally do the PAL to NTSC conversion (multi-standard TV's are virtually non-existent over here). Our players and TV's are not like those in the UK which more freely play NTSC.

50Hz is bad I remember but hey, you get more resolution ... [​IMG]

Regards,

N

8. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

50hz sets are OK for smallers screens (32" and smaller) but going to 36" and above shows up. The 10hz difference from 50hz to 60hz is quite a improvement. My 42" CRT RP is 50hz, and I cannot watch PAL discs due to the flicker. I therefore collect NTSC discs.

Oh Neil if you like British comedies, checkout Father Ted, Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Bottom, The Young Ones, The Fast Show and Fawlty Towers. The first season of League of Gentleman was great too (second season lost the plot and wasen't funny IMO)

9. Neil White

The Young Ones and Fawlty Towers are favourites of mine and I have the latter on R1 DVD - very nice. We get most of the others on PBS or BBC America over here. I remember Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Bottom and The Young Ones from my days in the UK but the others started after I left I believe. Most of them are on R1 DVD already.

Another fave of mine is Porridge, something else that to my knowledge never aired in the US.

Regards matey,

N