What's new

Only 1 OXM demo this month (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I do, however, take issue with your assumption that there AREN'T "people who have no brains at all," because there are several individuals where I work who clearly fit into that category. They have enough basic motor skills to brush their teeth and get dressed, come to work, etc, but as far as actually thinking for themselves goes, their minds are AWOL. I do not wish to imply that any of my fellow HTF posters fit into this category, however.
:laugh: No argument, there James - I certainly didn't mean to infer that brainless folk don't exist!

JayV

Supporting Actor
One of the things I prefer about XBN is its far more professional design.
Not being sarcastic here, but isn't XBN the magazine with a typo in every other sentence? Or have they improved their copy editing since then? I stopped reading after the first few issues.

I couldn't agree more with everyone's comments about "humorous" writing. It works for me when doled out sparingly in Car and Driver, but in gaming mags -- not so much.

I stopped reading gaming mags regularly, particularly OXM, when they seemed to decide that content is the enemy. Okay, they can't put out timely reviews because of the nature of the web.

So why not put out a magazine with other content in it? I don't need a 250 word review of a game that came out a month ago padded with old screenshots and Robot Monkey Apocalypse sidebars.

I'd like to see a big article on Ghost Recon, discussing the relative merits of the different weapons, maps and gametypes. Or an article detailing the "sim" and "arcade" aspects of, say, MotoGP, and where the different trade-offs change the game.

How about an article about custom soundtracks? We know that some games -- like racing games and games like Unreal Championship -- can benefit from custom soundtracks. So why not interview someone at MS explaining how easy it is to implement and then talking to the developers. Did the Unreal folks not do it because it's actually difficult or time-consuming? Put them on the record.

And to digress even further from the thread topic: OXM's habit of referring to Dolby Digital 5.1 as "5:1" is irritating.

-j

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Perhaps I'm the only one but I thought PC Accelator was a well written magazine. Basically Maxim and PC gamer put together. Then I think most of them went to OXM and have been bascially just been writing whatever microsoft tells them, or so it seems.
THanks

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"Basically Maxim and PC gamer put together"

That's funny Chad, I think you accurately summed up that magazine AND the reason why I couldn't stand it. It just screamed "attitude" and I HATE "attitude." Just give me some well-written information and I'll be happy. Spare me the women in bikini photos. Nothing wrong with women in bikinis photos, mind you, but the connection between them and video games escapes me.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Not being sarcastic here, but isn't XBN the magazine with a typo in every other sentence? Or have they improved their copy editing since then? I stopped reading after the first few issues.
Actually - that sounds like Play . They had some terrible proofreading going on. My favorite was when they referred to John Woo as "Jon Woo" - on the cover!

Users who are viewing this thread