What's new

Online Stores to Buy DVDs in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
If you are looking for good deals, you should really try ebay.

I have bought at least 8 dvds from ebay in the last 2 weeks, all of them shipped in under a week, in perfect condition and for at least half the cost of store bought.

The key is to buy more than one from a single seller.

Take the time and find a seller that has reasonable shipping costs to canada $3.50US to $4.50, with discounts on multiples.

For straight up online store to buy dvds from in canada at good costs...you've already found the best.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes DVDSoon.com is a great retailer though their prices really aren't all that competetive. Free shipping is a huge plus though!

I would also put in a serious reccomendation for DVDPassion.com which happens to be located right around my way. They have some great deals at times and a terrific and large stock inventory - you might even find some previously out-of-print titles like the Blue Underground Spaghetti Western Collection among others. They're extremely reliable, friendly and offer excellent top-notch service.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the stores.. I dont like dealing with Ebay mainly cause all the new DVDs from STORES are overpriced ANd its all done in USD. + shipping from ebay places is so expensive too. I will never buy a DVD there unless its out of print and impossible to find.
i dont really like paying shipping fees (especially when most of the stuff is comming from missassuga (10 min away from me)) so sites with free shipping is a + and even amazon has free shipping over $30 purchase so I just make sure When im ready to buy 2 DVD or 1 that costs more then $30 then I order it.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I'll throw another recommendation for DVDSoon. Mike, since you live in Ontario, you'll save PST as DVDSoon is based in Quebec. Not to mention free shipping on everything (at least for now). I split my orders between them and amazon. Depends on the pricing. Amazon almost always has a few $5 coupons available which can sometimes sway the decision their way.

I've used DVDBoxOffice once during their Criterion sale, but they usually have pretty high prices. I'll take a look at DVDPassion...

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I can understand that mike. But just a small rebuttle. I went through the list of 8 or so dvds I have bought over the last two weeks on ebay and priced them all at each of the online stores mentioned on this thread, and ebay beat them all in price including shipping.

If I was to buy all 8 dvds from any one single store I would have spent between 18 and 28 dollars more depending on the store.

Please don't take this as a plug for ebay at all, to each his own and I two used to not like ebay. But I have just found a lot of sucess lately, and it's simply because I have patience.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
wow.. thanks for those cupons. I never knew about stuff like that.

Could some1 explain DVdpassion.com shipping policy? they dont seem to state it ANYWHERE on their site... aslo were are they located?

Terry St

Second Unit
DVDSoon is usually better than Amazon or Indigo.ca for prices, although they do tend to package things poorly from time to time. (They occasionally stuff things into envelopes that really ought to be boxed, although if you pay them extra they will box it.) Some of their prices are good, but some are just plain hideous. It pays to check around for every title. Most of the Canadian etailers are usually in the same ballpark, but on some DVD's you'll get a much better deal ordering from the states. (e.g. I often order Criterions from U.S. sites.)

DeepDiscountDVD is the american site I use the most. Their prices are usually very good for a U.S. site, but they also have good shipping rates. (Some U.S. sites will soak you big-time for daring to not live in the center of the known universe!) You will get hit with duties at the border but the price differences are often large enough that you often come out ahead. (depending on the exchange rate)

Take the following prices on Criterion's edition of Spartacus for example:
  • DVDPassion - $61.00
  • DVDSoon - $54.98
  • Amazon.ca - $63.98
  • Indigo.ca - $79.98 :eek:
  • Futureshop.ca - $70.99
  • DeepDiscountDVD - $47.62 ($35.96 USD)

In this case I'd go with DVDSoon. With free shipping and no duties they'll probably wind up cheaper than DeepDiscountDVD, although it's close in this case. None of the other stores are even in the running. Always check around though, because the picture can look very different depending on the title.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

Ditto. Their customer support is A+ (in the rare cases you'll need it). I've ordered 100-120 DVD from them, and everything went smoothly (one exception: problem solved within 24h!)

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator

If only a store could have everything ever made :p

They did not have a particualr DVD im looking for and it appears they charge $5 Standard Shipping charge ontop of 3.95 shipping for a DVD. The $5.00 is an un-nessecary charge for the company and they should only charge the 3.95 for shipping. besides. $9 shipping on 1 dvd is way too much

thanks anyway tho

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A reminder that HTF rules prohibits linking to pirated movies websites.

“5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.”

http://hometheaterforum.com/community/help/terms

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I stick with Amazon world-wide as they are the best for me for quick delivery, good delivery rates to Australia at this time and one gets a quick response to any problems and the right result. No smart-assed answers one gets from others or threats of closing the account because they don't like the complaint or telling you they never stocked the items that I may have found faulty. I have had all these things over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread