What's new

Onkyo vs Pioneer (1 Viewer)

Ryan*A

Auditioning
Ok I am kinda new to Home theatre, I have a Onkyo 5.1 setup and had a Onkyo dvd-sp301 dvd player. The dvd shot craps so I returned it and was upgrading to the Onkyo dvd-sp501. However the store messed up and gave me an Onkyo receiver that is a lot better than the one packaged with the home theatre package I bought. My delimma was I needed a dvd player so I bought a Pioneer DV-563A-S I am now wondering if I should go ahead and change this dvd player with the Onkyo dvd-sp501? I do kinda like how when all the items are the same brand you can connect them. In short is the Pioneer DV-563A-S better than the Onkyo dvd-sp501 in image and sound all around? Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, please ask about specific component purchases in the appropriate hardware-related section. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level.

And welcome to HTF. Best of luck on your system.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I can't speak for the Onk, but the Pio definately has an edge in that it's a universal (SACD, DVD-A, everything else). As far as I can see the onk isn't. I'm not sure if you're into Hi-Def audio (give it a try), but it tips the scales to the pio.

Ryan*A

Auditioning
Don't have high def and the pioneer seems rad I just read some reviews and a few people trashed it compared to a $400 dollar DVD player which really isn't fair, really just wanted an honest opinion from people that use the stuff if Pioneer was a good set up. Thanks, I think I will stick with the Onkyo surround sound set-up and go with the pioneer dvd player. Thanks

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ryan I have the Onkyo 301 and its a great player, I had a the Pioneer before that. If you are just looking for Audio and Video quality then stick with the Onkyo, it blows the Pioneer away, especially in the video department. The Pioneer had a constant grain that you can't get rid of, meanwhile the Onkyo produces I nice clean image. Just my .02 cents. Enjoy

Ryan*A

Auditioning
You had the Pioneer DV-563A? I actually had the 301 and it had some issues so really I was looking at getting the 501. Thanks, all the other Onkyo stuff works awsome actually, it was just a few problems with the 301 that I had.

Mike Co

Agent
I don't know the Onkyo units, but the Pioneer 563-a is, IMHO, the best bang for buck out there with very good audio performance in all formats. Video is less of a factor for me because I don't have a non-interlaced TV, though most reviews give it a fair to good. One caveat on the audio side; bass management leaves something to be desired due to very high x-over, my solution was to go for the Outlaw ICBM.

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, I had the Panasonic RP-62 with the Faroudja chip in it, but I felt the urge to get a new player. So I went out and picked up the Pioneer 563a and the Onkyo 301 and the results were very suprising, First off im not into DVD-Audio or SACD so I was mostly looking for DVD Movies Audio and Video. The Pioneer sound was pretty good but the video had a flickering and a grain that you couldnt get rid of. The Onkyo though had better audio then both the Pioneer and the Panasonic, and the biggest suprise was the Onkyo had a better picture then the Pioneer and even the Panasonic. Eventhough the Onkyo doesn't have the Faroudja chip. So now the Onkyo is my main player on my 47 HDTV and the Pioneer got returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks