HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When turning the TV off...

Are you leaving the AVR on?
Are you leaving the STB on?
Are you leaving the BD player on?

Anytime you introduce anything new with HDMI...you must start over. Period. Adding in an AVR is the most important time to get the HDMI handshake correct.

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time you have "sound and no picture" it is "you messed up the HDCP".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reestablishing handshake....

1. Turn the AVR on. Wait until it has clicked, popped, sizzled, crapped it's pants.

2. Turn on the TV, wait till it has clicked, popped, sizzled, crapped it's pants.

3. Turn on your source.

Some TV want to be on 2nd to receive signal. Other TV like to be on last to already have a signal flow.

Regardless, once you've got the handshake under control...it won't matter, in the future, how you turn this stuff on. I don't even change a BD player out without flipping the switch on the UPS to kill the entire set of components.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I dont understand what you are asking in the first post. I unplugged everything from the wall waited 30 min. I connected my HDMI cable from my Satellite receiver to the Sat HDMI on my AVR. I then connected my HDMI TV Out from my AVR to my Tv's HDMI 1. I turned on the AVR waited for it to snap crackle and pop once snap crackling and popping was complete I turned on my Tv waited about a min and then turned on my Satellite receiver. I purposely didnt connect my apple tv or ps3 just incase ANYTHING was interfering with the "handshake". My tv then displayed my video and audio like it should. I then turned off my tv my AVR and my Satellite Receiver for a couple min and then attempted to turn them on in every order possible. TV says "checking signal" ten seconds later "no signal" audio working and no picture!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then try turning on the TV first, AVR 2nd, source last.

IF that doesn't work...AVR first, TV 2nd. source last.

At my house with 4 AVR and one theatre a plasma and a projector, it doesn't matter what I turn on in what order, cause I did the handshake correctly.

Handshake is on everything.

Hi, I'm a Sony AVR, and you are...?

I'm a X brand TV. Nice to meet you.

Downstream from the AVR...the PS3 goes..."Hi". AVR goes Hi, I'm a Sony and there is X brand of TV".

And so on.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Obviously the STB isn't accepting the Sony yet. Or the TV isn't accepting the Sony. Many times it is best to leave it all unplugged and unhooked and come back to it in an hour or longer.

Maybe your TV needs an hour to forget it's "prior to the Sony showing up" existence.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I TOTALLY understand the meaning of the handshake its unfortunate its this difficult I wonder if the HTIB would have been this hard. I understand if its messed up at initial set up that means the world. But it shouldnt be this difficult to repeat with success

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, if you come back to it in the morning, after it has all been uncooked and unplugged...If it still doesn't work, return the Sony for something else. Maybe Samsung and Sony just don't like each other.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
What if I was to connect all my HDMI directly to my tv like I had before the home audio purchase, and connect the audio optical out on my tv to the optical in on my AVR?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you do that...Return the AVR and speakers for a soundbar. All audio from HDMI into a TV is returned PCM2.0. Says that in your TV OM.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Actually my Tv's OM says it supports 5.1 surround sound through the optical! Not sure if you know what TV i own

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks