What's new

Onkyo txds595 (1 Viewer)

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Does the Onkyo txds595 have sub options within the DPL2 music mode(such as Panorama, Center Width or Dimension) like the Kenwood vr507?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Nope... Onkyo uses the defaults that Fosgate came up with for DPL2's Movie and Music modes, and that's it. That being said, the defaults are pretty damned nice-sounding. I almost bought the Kenwood because of this, but after hearing it at a friend's house I'm glad I stuck with the 595.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, can you tell me more about the difference in sound quality between the two receivers? I am looking at the Kenwood htb504 or the Onkyo txds595 with the Harman Kardon hkts-2 speaker set.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The Kenwood sounds muddier in the midrange to me, and the Onkyo just has an overall warmer sound to it. Some have complained about a lack of bass in the Onkyo's crossover range, but I find that this is mostly due to people being used to exaggerated bass levels at that frequency range due to loudness controls, crossovers with shorter slopes, etc.
When I was receiver-shopping, I avoided Kenwood because of their past track record on budget gear (their high-end stuff is pretty spiffy though), and I'm glad I did. I've toyed with my friend's Kenwood and the DPL2 adjustments, and frankly I'm glad I don't have those adjustments because I'd just sit there and tweak them all the damn time. The Onkyo's default settings work very well and create a very natural soundstage without being showy, and that's what I was looking for in a receiver.
I recommend going to your local B&M and listening to both receivers before you decide. You may not be looking for the same sound that I look for in a receiver (since all of this shit is subjective).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks