What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600 A/V Receiver - Anyone know anything about it? (1 Viewer)

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
EDIT: Disregard - found a good thread below that makes it appear this is a receiver to be avoided.

I'm looking for a review. It seems to have a lot of features at a great price, but I have no experience with the brand. Also, please comment on Onkyo A/V receivers in general. How does it compare to say H/K 320?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I would say the H/K is a much better receiver overall. I believe H/K under-rates their power, and we all know the power issues with the Onkyo.

Onkyo receivers are good in general, but there are alot of people upset that it only delivers around 28 watts of power in 5 channel mode. There are threads here that cover this.

I've never had an Onkyo, I have a Marantz, but most people seem to like their Onkyos.

JordanW

Grip
I have an Onkyo TX-DS575x, and could not be happier. I've had it since around the time it hit the shelves, and have had no regrets at all. The 575 seems to deliver as much power as is needed for my Definitive Tech BP8's and ProSub100. Unlike other receivers I compared it to, it delivers the power very consistently instead of varying the power all the time. The 595 also kept up Onkyo's good name with basically the same performance as my 575. The 600 still seems to be a DECENT receiver, but does not even compare to the 575/595. The only benefits are the addition of component switching and a rear center. You even lose a digital coax input with the 600. If you like the sound of the Onkyo's, look for a surplus 595 somewhere or spend a little extra money and find a 797. I have done side-by-side comparisons with a lot of H/K receivers, but still prefer the sound (at least for home theater) of the Onkyo's better. Good luck finding the right receiver.

-- Jordan

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I have the Onkyo 600 (& had its predecessor the 595) & it's a very good receiver. Yes, the wattage isn't as advertised, but it's powerful enough for a small/medium-sized room. Plus, with DD-EX, DTS-ES & component video switching included, overall it's a solid value.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Just curious, why would you say this receiver is to be avoided? There are many members of this forum that have this receiver and are very happy with it? I, too, owned this receiver for a short time and it never showed that it lacked in any area. Granted I had it coupled with modest speakers? I know that a lot of people are harping on the power output, due to the results of an unfortunate member. However, even he has stated that the receiver is a decent piece, as long as you don't have speakers that require serious power.

I ended up exchanging my SR600 for an HK AVR320, which I am very pleased with. My issues with the SR600 were more in my head than tangible performance issues. If you do have a chance, I'd recommend you take a listen to both receivers before making your mind up. I think each of them offer something the other doesn't. If you still do like the HK in the end, try checking Ubid, as I just purchased a second one from them yesterday. It was less than half the price I paid for my original one.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Jordan, et al,
Actually the 575x was the last receiver in this class by Onkyo that delivered the goods. The replacement 595 and now the 600 are continuing a new trend for Onk, as well as others---cheapening out on the power supply. The resulting loss of power in multi-channel is a disgrace. It is pathetic to me that an entry level receiver like the 494 can deliver what it promises but better, more upscale ones cannot. The severe reduction of power in multi-channel usage was formerly confined to the issue of low impedance. Now the trend is for even 8 Ohm usage to result in lowered watts. This will continue until consumers stop taking this crap. :thumbsdown:
People crack me up on this. They always like to say 'Forget the numbers...How does it sound'? If the numbers weren't important, the manufacturers wouldn't waste so much time doling out BS. If power weren't important we wouldn't have so many people buying amps to get 'more' out of their systems. So...the answer to the 'How does it sound' gang is this...'It sounds weak, underpowered, lacking in dynamics, etc....Oh, but you should hear it in 2 channel!'
Onkyo should either deliver an honest product or take down their stupid info-website touting their honest approach at delivering the 'goods'.

Norman L

Second Unit
Paul,

Very well said,

from the guy whom most of you know as the one that blew the B & W speakers relying on the information provided by Onyko in their web site. Model 600 - "6 x 80 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms". Onyko press release in S & V "rated to deliver 80 watts of continuous power into each of the six channels"

Real power is 34Wx5, or 30wx5 depending on the two different test labs.

However, with the correct speakers the unit will work fine but when will they start to tell the truth.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I have a HK320. Never have owned an Onkyo. But with similiar comparisons I liked the sound of the HK over the Onkyo.

Greer_R

Agent
David (nice to see a fellow Hokie)...I'm pleased with my SR-700, and at the price difference, I am glad I stepped up for the extra features, as for the "power ratings" the owners manual says 80 watts a channel with 2 driven....read the manual as it is more correct than the website (and the manual is available online)

-Greer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks