What's new

Onkyo TX-SR308 HDMI passthru (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Ok Onkyo peeps - help me out. Where/how do I enable HDMI passthru on this receiver? I read the manual (!) twice, and went through every menu option I could find. I must be overlooking it somewhere/somehow. I know my cabling is good, I eventually tickled it enough to get the OSD working. I'm stumped!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This HDMI passthru thing is way more complicated than it should be

I haven't used my displays speakers in 6-7 years when I hooked my SAT box to the tv with red and white stereo cables.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Well the only thing I had connected was the DirecTV STB, and the HDMI out to the new Samsung plasma (super nice BTW). I'm fairly certain I had those set to on, but may not have power-cycled the devices once I made the change. In the end I just ended up hooking the STB straight to the TV.

Does anyone know if this model Onkyo supports pass-thru over HDMI from a source that is connected via component? The DVD player is connected via component (no HDMI)....I was wondering if it would send that input over HDMI as well....not sure what you call that though.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sending a signal from the component input to the hdmi output would be called video up-conversion. The 308 doesn't support that feature. It would have started with the 608.

In any event, something as simple as this just shouldn't be this hard for us to figure out. They need to make these things easier to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks