What's new

Onkyo TX-NR717 question--how to make TV sound come through? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
I have everything hooked up to my new 717 receiver via HDMI. Sound and video come through from my blu-ray player and my DVR.

However, how can I make the sound from my TV play through the receiver? I have a Samsung PN59D7000FF plasma Smart TV. It has YouTube, etc. If I want to watch a YouTube video on my TV, how do I get the sound to come through my receiver, rather than through the cheapo TV speakers?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Bruce White said:
I have everything hooked up to my new 717 receiver via HDMI. Sound and video come through from my blu-ray player and my DVR.

However, how can I make the sound from my TV play through the receiver? I have a Samsung PN59D7000FF plasma Smart TV. It has YouTube, etc. If I want to watch a YouTube video on my TV, how do I get the sound to come through my receiver, rather than through the cheapo TV speakers?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce
Call the man. for the 717.

3zone

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
How did you end up accomplishing this? I have the 616 and I simply enabled CEC on the tv, enabled the Onkyo version of CEC on the set up menu and did the required soft reset of the Onkyo. The Onkyo will illuminate the word ARC on the panel (it technically will illuminate ARC but no sound will come through the avr without the one-time soft reset). You can then use your tv apps and have sound come through the AVR. Now my tv's non-universal remote controlls the 616 as though it is a universal remote and the Onkyo remote app also controls the tv and obviously the 616 as well. The ARC and CEC are great plus you get 5.1 sound coming through the ARC if for example your tv supports 5.1 from the TV's smart apps (some tv's don't). The entire process depends on the speed of your thumbs and so it takes a minute total.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks