What's new

Onkyo TX-NR515 vs. Yamaha HTR-4065 vs. Pioneer VSX-822k (1 Viewer)

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
So I'm in the process of building my 5.1 setup. Yes I know the Onkyo is a 7.2, but I can get it for the same price as the yamaha. Through my searching I have found both the Onkyo and the Yamaha for $219.99 and the Pioneer for $174.99 all being refurbished models. First off, are these good deals? Second off which one is the better deal? I've already purchased my sub (polk psw505) and I'm still deciding on my speakers. Whichever receiver I purchase, it will be pushing one of the following:

Polk RC80i($140 x 2 because they are not sold individually) for Front LCR and Polk RC60i ($90) for the rears
HTD HD-R65AIM ($159 + 80 for center) for the Front LCR and HTD MP-R65 ($79) for the rears
Monoprice 8" angled ($88.96 x 2 because they are not sold individually) for the Front LCR and 6.5" ($44.64 - $117.47)for the rears.

In case you haven't noticed all of these are in ceiling. I know in-ceiling is frowned upon here, but that's what I'm stuck with.

So I'm pretty much just trying to get and idea of what will sound better. The room is 18.5' X 17' and will be primarily used for movies and football. The focal point of the room will most likely be the Vizio E701i-A3 70" ($1100-$1300). Pretty much I'm trying to get my whole system for

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Because the best deal in AVR depends on...Does it have the features you need/want?Is the price right, for you?Since these are all entry level, they aren't going to be close in features.The Onkyo gives you a better remote. Do you care?The Yamaha, arguably, has a better amp section with the fewest features. The Pioneer is just cheap. I wouldn't consider any Pio under the 102x.

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
schan1269 said:
Because the best deal in AVR depends on...Does it have the features you need/want?Is the price right, for you?Since these are all entry level, they aren't going to be close in features.The Onkyo gives you a better remote. Do you care?The Yamaha, arguably, has a better amp section with the fewest features.The Pioneer is just cheap. I wouldn't consider any Pio under the 102x.
The price is right on all of them. They will all help me fall into my 2K budget for everything. So the Pioneer is out. Whose auto calibration feature is better? Because I don't have a good enough ear to fine tune it myself. The Yamaha's MCACC or the Onkyo's Audyssey? Which one of the 2 will better power the list of speakers that I'm leaning towards?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Both will power your speakers "fine". There is no best.YPAO (in this range) is better than Audyssey. But, you are mangling your sound stage. I have no idea if the bass software YPAO has will even matter with a mangled sound stage.Audyssey...since it does nothing for the sub anyway, may be your better choice.Although the cheapest Denon with Aud XT may be your best option. But you don't have Denon in your list to choose from.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Make sure the Pioneer and Yamaha are from authorized dealers or the warranty may not be honored.

I agree with Sam that a Denon might be a better choice for you. The 1613 is this years model and may have more network/app features while the 1612 is last years model. Both have a better version of Audyssey then the Onkyo 515.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR791/DENON-AVR-791-7.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

OpieInWashington

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
schan1269 said:
Both will power your speakers "fine". There is no best.YPAO (in this range) is better than Audyssey. But, you are mangling your sound stage. I have no idea if the bass software YPAO has will even matter with a mangled sound stage.Audyssey...since it does nothing for the sub anyway, may be your better choice.Although the cheapest Denon with Aud XT may be your best option. But you don't have Denon in your list to choose from.
So I checked out the Denon 1613. Are you guys saying that this will be better than the Yamaha or the Onkyo? I can get the Denon for about $229. Once again refurbished just as the others.

As far as what you guys were mentioning about getting refurbs from a reputable source. Everything I'm looking at is on Accessories4Less.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Audyssey is thought to be the best room correction software out there and the 1612/1613 have a better version of Audyssey (MultEQ) then the 515 (2EQ). Pioneer and Yamaha only allow one crossover setting for all speaker groups (by design) while Onkyo and Denon allow for seperate crossover settings for each speaker group. By speaker groups I mean Fronts, Center, Surrounds and Surround backs. This shouldn't affect you since your speakers will most likely use the same crossover setting but I thought it was worth mentioning for some reason.

"As far as what you guys were mentioning about getting refurbs from a reputable source. Everything I'm looking at is on Accessories4Less."

Ac4l.com isn't carrying Yamaha products just yet and they don't carry Pioneer so I wasn't sure where you were thinking of buying them. Ac4l.com is an authorized dealer for the brands they carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks