What's new

Onkyo TX NR 515 with 18 gauge speaker wire (1 Viewer)

tt2013

Auditioning
Real Name
Vamsi G
Hi, I am in a tricky situation due to a small mistake I did which could cost me dearly. Wondering if anyone can throw some advise. While we were getting our home built, we pre-wired the game room with speaker wire and after closing, we installed in-wall speakers and also connected them all to Onkyo TX NR 515. After setting everything up, I just noticed that the speaker wire has a small note in a corner that its "not for in-wall speakers". As I was in hurry to get the wiring done before drywall is put, I didn't do enough research and looks like I bought 18 gauge speaker wire instead of 14 or 16 gauge. I understand we are supposed to use either CL2 or CL3 certified only speaker wire for in-wall installations and it could fail home inspection. But other than that, could this be a fire hazard? Should I return the powerful Onkyo TXNR 515 and get something simple? Is it better to get the whole wiring replaced which could be pretty expensive now that everything is finished? Speaker Wire: GE 100' 18g Speaker Wire http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-100-18g-Speaker-Wire-Stranded-76497/202725554#.UTVfPjDigvA In-Wall Speakers: Polk Rc80i http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC80i-In-Ceiling-Speakers/dp/B00006BMQT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362452862&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+rc80i Audio Receiver: Onkyo TX NR 515 http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR515&class=Receiver&p=i I spoke to my builder and he suggested that as long as the receiver does have enough continuity and enough ampiage it should be ok. (I didn't gete these technical terms though :( ) Any input will be appreciated. If replacing the wire is way to go, I guess I will have to get some pros this time. Thank you.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If there's ever a fire, regular speaker cable acts like a fuse and hastens the spread of the fire. In-wall wire has fire retardant covering. The amplifier won't make a difference, it's not a case of catching fire during the use of your equipment. neither will the 18g (that will just lower the volume a hair). Regardless, it would be worth the $200 or so to have an electrician come in and run some wire. It'll save you from worrying about it, and if you ever had a fire. Think how little that $200 will look when the insurance company denies your claim.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
In-wall rating (CL2), has nothing to do with the gauge of the wire. 18 gauge is thinner than we generally recommend, but really it should function fine. I'm a bit confused, though - didn't you have the wiring (electrical and non-electrical) inspected BEFORE the drywall was installed? Seems to me, if you've gotten this far I don't think you run too high a risk of failing an inspection. Regardless, failing to use in-wall rated wire is a hazard and whether or not you choose to replace it is something only you can decide. I'm not sure exactly what your builder was getting at - speaker wire carries an electrical current (albeit a very small one) and it provides a path for fire to spread within the wall cavity. "Continuity" and "amperage" don't change either fact.

Real Name
Jason Higgins
18gauge is fine for powering these little in-wall speakers. But how long a run are we talking here? 30 feet? 50feet? 70feet? those numbers matter more for the size used. If 50 feet and under, I wouldn't worry about the size. Now for the whole fire part... I've heard it's a fume related issue. Either way, if your house is on fire, it's likely going to burn anyway. Not because of the wire. Do you know if these wires are stapled in any areas? Maybe an electrician can tie on and pull new wires without making any holes? Or very close. Some electricians have equipment that can follow the path of the wire behind the wall to know exactly where it's located. You can cut holes and then patch them yourself to save a couple dollars. Whether or not you have soundproofing (roxul) material behind the drywall, or any other insulation will make a big difference when having to run new wires. Good luck. It shouldn't be as bad as you think to remedy this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^ Before you speak on CL rated wire... "Now for the whole fire part... I've heard it's a fume related issue. Either way, if your house is on fire, it's likely going to burn anyway. Not because of the wire." Get a clue. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/inwallrating.htm And yes...using the wrong wire "even for the fume issue" can mean that if your house burns down and you go to the hospital for smoke related issues, you gave your insurance company a pass on paying your medical bills. And your homeowners can(and will) deny every other claim related to the house.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Porcupinepuffer said:
Sorry. I forgot you're the greatest home theater poster on the planet.
That has nothing to do with it. "I heard it is fume related, Don't worry about it cause it will all burn away" is an idiot comment to a serious topic. How much did you pay for your house? How much are your kids worth?

Real Name
Jason Higgins
schan1269 said:
That has nothing to do with it. "I heard it is fume related, Don't worry about it cause it will all burn away" is an idiot comment to a serious topic.
I gave an opinion and ideas on how to change the wire to make it right. I never implied not to worry about it. I was only saying that if you're house is on fire, it's from something other then speaker wire... If someone really doesn't want their house to burn down, there's about 1000 more important things to worry about before the speaker wire.
schan1269 said:
How much did you pay for your house?
You live in the States, and I live in Canada. I assume I paid about 4x what you did, and my house continues to rise in value, while according to CNN, yours is probably dropping day by day.

tt2013

Auditioning
Real Name
Vamsi G
Thank you all for your suggestions. It looks like even though the sound quality wouldn't matter much since the room is just 18ft long, considering the safety and home insurance validity issues, I will try to get the wire replaced with a certified one. I will try one of the below options suggested in another forum and if it doesn't work, will get an electrician to see how easy it is to get the new wiring done. "you may be able to pull new wire through without too much trouble (you'd attach the new wire to one end of the installed wire, and then pull on the other end of the installed wire until you'd pulled the old wire all of the way out - and then the new wire would be in place)." thank you again. this is very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks