What's new

ONKYO TX-DS989 or Denon AVR-5800 (1 Viewer)

Jasen_L

Auditioning
The prices of these two receivers are very close. But which one is actually better? Or Denon AVR-4802?

Thanks.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I just picked up the Denon 4802 over the higher model (mostly because it was a lot cheaper) but also when I was told it also features Dolby Pro-Logic 2 as well. ( The 5800 doesn't .) It's a fantastic new version that really improves the sound on standard pro-logic sources. Music videos are unbelievable with this decoding ! If you still watch a fair amount of television this is a fantastic bonus. There are times when you are truly fooled into thinking you're listening to a 5 channel source.

As for the receiver itself, it was an upgrade from a Pioneer Elite DD THX unit that had no DTS or DVD-audio capabilities. I can honestly say I have never been so impressed with the improvement in any home theatre device I have ever owned. I am in heaven !

The only downside is that it has no internal rf-demodulator for AC-3 laserdiscs. ( The 5800 does.)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Jasen,

You should do a search on this forum for opinions on the Denon 5800. There are a ton of them...as for the Onkyo, not nearly as many but there are some. I listened to both as well as the B&K 307 when I purchased mine (I ended up with the 5800).

The Onkyo does have DPLII now with it's software upgrade. As mentioned earlier, the 5800 does not, but the rumor mill is still churning out an upcoming upgrade for the 5800. DPLII aside, the 5800 was a better sounding receiver to me when I was auditioning them. It really comes down to your personal taste. If you have an opportunity, go check them out....preferrably with speakers that you will be using, in-home auditions are best.

Good Luck

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.