What's new

Onkyo Subwoofer Kicks Off During Movies--Help! (1 Viewer)

rolloman

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul R
This is a SKW 591 Sub as part of an Onkyo HTIB with receiver HTR-591 purchased in April 2012. The first time we watched a movie, the sub kicked off during an explosion in the movie. Sub didn't come back on until the next day. The next time, it didn't come back on for 3 days. Took it to the shop via Onkyo's instruction.
I just picked it up from an authorized Service Center after 6 weeks. They said they couldn't get it to shut off. Onkyo just tells me that they never heard of a sub doing this.
I'm thinking it's a setting issue with my setup. I don't believe it's a connection issue as my old cheap Yamaha sub works fine at all volume levels. Can anyone give me any ideas how I can keep the sub on and working. It's a great sounding system when the sub works. I appreciate your help.
RM

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guess, without knowing your settings, is you have the gain up to high. Meaning it is going into clipping and overrunning its ability to stay cool.
When it shuts off, is the plate amp really hot?

rolloman

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul R
No Sam, it's not hot. I think it's going into Auto Protection. Onkyo tells me to bring the gain down to 0hz on the system settings and use the knob on the sub to adjust the gain. This sort of bypasses the receiver to prevent it from kicking off. Does this sound right to you? I don't know why the Service Center couldn't give me this info. I'll tinker with it tonight and see if it helps. Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is the only place to start. If you have the gain like +12 (in the receiver) and the volume on the sub "all the way up"...
It won't work that way...for long.

rolloman

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul R
I had it at 5hz on receiver and about 20% on the sub. I jacked it down to 0 on receiver and up to about 30% on sub. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks