What's new

Onkyo or Yamaha? (1 Viewer)

Chris.H

Grip
Hello, all. My name is Chris. I am new as of today, actually. I am interested in purchasing a new home theater system. I have narrowed the choices to 2. The first is the Onkyo HTS 570 ($248.03). The second in the Yamaha YHT-150 ($243.94). Both prices are the lowest I've found and include shipping. If anyone out there can point me to the better system between these, or another similar system, I would be very greatful. Please hurry. I do not want to miss out on these prices. Thank you very much for including me in your forum.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Chris, and welcome to Home Theater Forum. I've moved your thread, which is asking about complete HTiBs, into A/V Sources, where we place such threads. If you have a receiver-specific question, please post in Receivers/Amps.

Enjoy the Forum!

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Chris

I like the crisp sound of the Yamaha but that is just my opinion. Both companies have a good reputation and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Have fun:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris.H

Grip
Thanks for the input. Your opinions are what I am going to decide upon. What may be a simple thought for you is what will make mt home theater sound great. So, again, Thank you very much. Score 1 for the Yamaha. I think that I am getting a very good price, too.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
If you can scrape up the cash (or wait) you should consider the Onkyo HTS770. Better reciever, even has component video switching. User friendly, learning remote, plenty of inputs (digital), Dolby & DTS 6.1 EX and finally:

IT SOUNDS AMAZING.

You will have no idea what you are missing if you settle for the Yamaha or the lesser Onkyo. The 770 is simply the best system for the price I've heard in recent memory.

Chris.H

Grip
Thank you, PeterTHX. I'll check it out right now. Your opinions are very important to me at this infant stage of my High Def life.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I am not gonna say anything about you having the same initials as me, but I will say that I have heard the Onkyo at a friends house and it sounded great. Clear, neutral, for the price.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I vote Onkyo. The other poster is correct. If you can swing a 770 system. The better sub alone is worth the difference, let alone 6.1, HD Component Video sitching, ect..ect..

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Having owned both Yamaha and Onkyo, I prefer the Onkyo. However, your ears should make the decision. Good luck and happy listening!

Chris.H

Grip
Well PeterTHX, I found a sweet Onkyo HTS770 for a even sweeter price. However, my wife and I have $300 gift and rewardzone credit at Best Buy. They do not stock Onkyo. Which does not make me happy at all. They do have some Yamaha and Sony HTiB's that look pretty neat. If someone could check out online what may be as good or close. That would be great. I really wanted that Onkyo.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
You can get a refurb 770 onk system for $249.88 at jandr.com which is a great price. I've purchased two Onk refurb from them and have never had a problem. The last one being the 520 receiver for my cousin and he loves it- that's only $149. I've heard the 770 also and it's the best htib I've ever heard. Big speakers though compared to a lot of sub sat systems, but this is part of the reason for the better sound- in my opinion. Better mids than other sub sat systems and a better sub, which is key. For the $149 for the Onk520 receiver, you can spend the rest on speakers and have a great little system, too, but the refurb 770 price is amazing and I think too good to pass up. You can upgrade the speakers later if you want. I would spend the gift/credit on other things, cables, speaker wires, cds, etc. Good luck!
José

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd still go for the Onkyo system.

Pioneer...well, I'm not so impressed with. I've seen a lot of them returned.

Sony, I'm a big fan of their video gear, but if their audio gear doesn't have an "ES" logo then stay away. The Dream Systems have decent performance for the price. The video performance is excellent, but the changer is a pain.

Chris.H

Grip
Yes, That was my initial plan. (Buy cables and such) I already have an HDMI, coax digital, optical, and All the Component cable I may need. I may need some heavier gauge speaker cable. But, 300 bones worth, I don't know. I just thought if anyone could point me toward a good set up, I could use the gift card and then spend the next $350 it would have taken to get the others and have myself a nice $600- $700 system. I did like the Onkyo very much too. I just don't see how to sneak that one past my wife!

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Question for you guys...I'm trying to learn more and more about HTiB.

Now, the Onkyo 770 doesn't come with a DVD player. What I'm curious about is this...When hooking the speakers up to the receiver...do you also hook your current dvd player up to the Onkyo receiver? What about the television? I'm just curious how the information gets from one's TV or DVD player into the receiver and out through the speakers...?

One more thing...how easy/complicated is the hookup for a Onkyo HTiB?

Lastly, for the people who are buying the Onkyo (or any HTiB)...are you hearing the sound first before you buy it, or just going by people's recommendations on forums? Is Circuit City the only known place to have Onkyo's you can listen to in the stores?

Thanks.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I have heard the system both at CC (which isn't the best place to hear it do to the large open space I listened in) and at someone's home where it did sound pretty good for what it is. It was playing in his living room (avg apartment size in nyc, so not very large but also not a closet).

The beauty of this system is that you get a full receiver and can upgrade the speakers later if you are not happy with them, but I think you'll be happy with this not so little unit if you are looking for a great bank for your buck whole package 6.1 deal.

As far as hook up is concerned for the dvd-palyer, some folks do it a bit differently. This is what I do: I use a video/audio connect directly from the dvd player to the tv and an optical or coaxial (Digital cable) from the dvd player to the receiver to get the surround sound audio to the speakers. This way you can use the tv and dvd player without using the receiver if you want, but also have the option of turning on the receiver and experiencing the wonder of surround sound. I do this b/c my wife just doesn't want to bother with the surround sound when I'm not there. I think she's allergic or something. I have other hook ups going on, but that's the heart of it. If you need more info, post and we shall reply.

Set up isn't that big a deal, but my wife would not agree, so it all depends on your temperment, I guess.

One more thing, don't go nuts and pay tons of cash for expensive monster cables. Go to Radio shack and get the goldseries cables.

Good luck!
José

Chris.H

Grip
Thanks for your insight. I'll definately give Radio Shack the nod. Also, I think our wives may be related. Mine has the same phobia.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Lot of good info...

Jose...

Another question...I understand what you mean, but...is there a reason you use the digital cable to connect from the DVD player to the receiver to get the surround sound? I guess I'm asking if, say, I don't do this, will I not get the surround sound effect coming through my speakers when I play a dvd movie (if I just simply hook my dvd player to my television set, and then hook my television set cables into the Onkyo receiver?)

Thanks.

Oh, and can someone briefly explain how monster cables work or a good site that explains it? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks