Onkyo or Sony?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ben LG, May 12, 2003.

1. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of Infinity RS-4's laying around collecting dust and seeing as entry level recievers are quite cheap nowadays, I decided to pick one up and get some use out of my speakers. I wanted to get some opinions on the following recievers:

Onkyo TX SR500
    Sony STR-DE485
    SONY STR-DE595

Any others around the $200-$300 mark such as Kenwood or Harmon Kardon that you guys would recommend? I am gonna set it up in a 15 x 10 bedroom and would be mostly use for music rather than home theater.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

In my opinion I would take the onkyo over the sony. Smoother sound not so muddy as the sony's sound(lower end).

3. tom_pat

tom_pat Auditioning

Onkyo has much better amplifier circuitry than Sony does! Sony sucks in the receiver department!

4. Arup

Arup Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo is pretty good and only the SONY ES series compares favorably to it. For other options check out similiar offerings from Yamaha which has better DSP performance. Also personaly I prefer Yamaha's sound over Onkyo although both are equaly well constructed and are much more reliable than SONY.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Onkyo has been praised by numerous professional reviewers
    as having the smoothest sound out of all the mainstream
    recievers and that includes HK,Denon,Sony etc.

I tend to agree with them. My Onkyo did a fantastic job for
    music. I stepped up to a Preamp that cost dang near as much
    as my Reciever did and didn't notice the HUGE difference
    that I assumed I would. This only goes to show just how
    good the Onk's do sound. But I would let your own ears be
    the judge.

6. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I agree with Brett. I upgraded from an Onkyo 575X receiver to a NAD T752, and though the NAD will play louder, and with more balls, it was not a 'sonic unveiling' as I had expected. For the money, Onkyo does pretty well.

7. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I've got the Sony STR-DE485 and it does okay for movies, which is why I got it and it was cheap. You could take a look at a refurb onkyo tx-sr500 for $150. There's a link in the coupons and bargains forum.

8. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I just upgraded from a STR-DE475 to a STR-DA2ES. I would stay away from sony's lower end receivers at all costs! Horrible would be one word to describe them. I would have audio dropout during intensive scenes, the volume would drop substantially. Can't speak for the Onkyo's but maybe you can find one open box in your price range that'll make you happy.

9. Randall Duncan

Randall Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Post Deleted

10. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Randall,

May I ask why the Onkyo would come in behind the Yamaha and
    Harmon Kardon? I personaly would place the upper end Onkyo's
    far ahead of either from a processing and musicality stand
    point. Of course that's my biased opinion [​IMG]

If it's because of some of the issues Onk has had in the
    last few months, HK has had thier share as well.

11. Randall Duncan

Randall Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Post Deleted

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Randall,

I agree with you about HK's amp circuitry they do drive
    4 Ohm Loads where as the Onky have only ever been rated to
    a minimum of 6. More recent Onk's have had questionable all
    channels driven output (Thankfuly my Onk is not one of the
    latest units.)

But musicaly I think Onk makes one of the best mainstream
    recievers out there. And I think (from my ears) the HK's
    also sound fantastic so I would lean towards it like this..

Onkyo or Integra then Harmon then Denon then Pioneer then
    Yamaha. All are great products though!

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I agree w/ Brett about Onkyo. I think their stuff is great, and prefer it over H/K. Yeah, the most recent line is not up to their usual standard, but it looks like the new models will correct the deficiencies. That being said, my neighbor has the SR700 and it's a very nice AVR; sounds great.

In terms of Onk vs Sony: I prefer Sony ES stuff over mainstream Onkyo. Not a fair comparison, of course, but I have zero experience w/ Integra, which I'm certain compares with ES. The Sony 4ES is, at the moment, and IMHO, the best AVR dollar-for-dollar and pound-for-pound.

14. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I recently moved from Sony to H/K(I now have an AVR125). I love the H/K, you can find them at very reasonable prices. I like the build quality and the ergonomics. The sound is fantastic. You may want to give it a listen.

15. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

16. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

If you decide on Sony, go with the DB or "QS?" series. I have:

STR-DB930
    Infinity RS5x4
    Infinity CC3
    Infinity HPS1000 sub

My dad has:

STR-DB930
    Infinity RS4x4
    Infinity CC3
    Infinity HPS-1000 sub

I like the sony because of the "tweakability". I wouldn't trade my HT setup for almost anything. My dad and I use different low/mid/high settings to get the sound we like.

Also, a small project to take up some time but may make a huge improvement: Take off the RS4 metal grills, get yourself some size 10 needle point pieces of plastic at a craft shop (plastic with holes in it), bend them into a half moons over each tweater, then cover with the thinest speaker cloth you can find. You'll have to experiment with the size of the half moon (the sound stage size and accuracy will change as you change the size of the moons. I got this idea from the Infinity's Overture series.

That's what I did with my RS5s anyway and the sound quality improvement is undescribable.

17. Koren T. Wolf

I used to have a Sony STR-DE595, and i couldn't stand the tinny sound to it. it couldn't push my PSBs at all. so i gave it to my brother-in-law (since he doesn't know much about H/T). i replaced that Sony POS with an Onkyo NR900. OMG! what a difference. i almost had my ears bleeding. the sound is smooth, crisp, just delightful.
    i've found that the only decent electronics that Sony makes are monitors and the Playstation 2.

18. carl_b_byrne

carl_b_byrne Agent

Bob, I too am getting audio dropout with my sony "home theater in a box" and I believe its the receiver and not the discs (although some discs are scratched somewhat badly). I haven't really auditioned any new receivers yet (my wife wants to have a baby so I can't buy anything...darn biological clock!!!) but if I was I would probably try a HK or Integra. I also am eyeing the mirage omnisats as the new surrounds (again...the WAF). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Another vote for Onkyo.I currently have the txds575 and am saving for the 600.I may also pick up one of their dvd players.The Bose outlet store has them for $99....pro scan too

20. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I listened to the HK recievers quite a bit within the last two weeks at the Future Shop. They use the AVR325 or 525 to demo their speakers. I listened carefully to several Polk, Bose, Infinity, and other models. In the end I chose the Polk RTi38 to replace my two front Polk RM6700. During the A/B comparison of those speakers, I felt that none of them sound really that good in terms of clarity. I know the listening environment has a lot to do of it. Regardless, it was till a pleasant surprise when I hooked up the RTi to my Sony STR-DA4ES. They sound great in the clarity department. The bass is a bonus, I find it almost acceptable to use the "analog direct" switch to listen to music CD without using my subwoofer. I am sure the Sony ES series receivers are as good (or better) as the HK AVR325/525. I cannot say the same for their non ES receivers.