What's new

Onkyo offering to repair Receivers 2009-2012 HDMI Issues (1 Viewer)

Defshep

Agent
Real Name
Vance
schan1269 said:
In the absence of my 707 and 807, had to dust off my Integra DTR 5.8 and a Panasonic SA HE200.
Added a Technics SA G90 for the front channel on the Integra. Forgot how effortless "New Class A" is.
The Panny even sounds better than I remembered...once I remembered how to set it up(it is a wonder we ever got stuff set up at all). Played some DVD-A over analog from the Oppo 970(first time for it...pretty damn good).
Wow! That Panny was one of my favorite ht receivers ever. Great looking, too.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I sent off my TX-NR809 on Jan-13 and got it back yesterday (Jan-24). An 11 day door to door turn around on a repair is not to shabby at all. I wonder how long the fix will last? I'm contemplating maybe keeping it instead of selling it since I've already got the Emotiva.

Old Tuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
I'm glad to hear some of you are finally getting help with this HDMI failure problem. But not all of us are as fortunate. I purchased my TX-SR508 new from Crutchfield in late 2010, and it died in 2013 after 3 years and 1 month of service. I Googled the problem only to find out there were lots of others out there with the same issue. I called Onkyo back then, and after waiting on the phone for nearly an hour, was told there was nothing they could do for me.

Anyway, I heard Onkyo was finally making things right, so I looked into it. Turns out even though my unit was manufactured in 2010, it is not included in the "customer care" program. So what did Onkyo offer me to make this right? $10 off a refurb, and I would have to ship them my defective unit, which they would then presumably repair and resell. Forgive me, but that's just insulting.

Again, congrats to those of you for getting your units repaired. But no more Onkyo for me. There are just too many good alternatives out there to do business with a company that doesn't stand behind its defective products.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, my 3010 qualifies, but I'm undecided whether to send it in at this time.
Well, the audio to my 3010 receiver stopped working today so I'm sending it to Onkyo for the repair warranty. It's better than buying a new receiver at this time. In the meantime, I placed my repaired 818 receiver into my main HT until I get the 3010 back.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I'm Fed-ex shipping my 3010 receiver to Onkyo. I do wonder how fast I get it back, hopefully, sometime in May.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I'm Fed-ex shipping my 3010 receiver to Onkyo. I do wonder how fast I get it back, hopefully, sometime in May.
Well, that didn't take long. I shipped my 3010 receiver last Saturday and today on Friday, it's getting delivered back to me.:)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, that didn't take long. I shipped my 3010 receiver last Saturday and today on Friday, it's getting delivered back to me.:)
They probably shipped you a refurbed with that short of a turnaround, and then will add yours to their pool if they can repair it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
On a somewhat unrelated note, I think all receiver manufacturers that claimed their receivers were 4K-ready should offer some sort of trade-in program to those who now need the receiver to be HDCP 2.2 compliant in order to use a Roku 4, Amazon Fire TV (4K), and/or UHD Blu-ray. My Marantz SR5008 is less than 2 years old, and is already badly outdated, and I'm not ready financially to purchase a new one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When mine was fixed, it came back cleaner and better looking than when it left. If it was a refurb, it worked out in my favor.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you record the serial numbers of your equipment, you should be able to tell if they swapped it out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They probably shipped you a refurbed with that short of a turnaround, and then will add yours to their pool if they can repair it.
Maybe, but since I'm in a movie theater all afternoon watching the new Captain America movie, I'll have to go to FedEx later this evening to pickup the receiver.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On second thought I don't feel like making a 40 minute round trip tonight so I'll let them deliver that 60 lb receiver on Monday.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got my receiver back this afternoon and have it up and running with no problems. Furthermore, it's the same unit based on the serial number.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I moved my 1008 from the main system to the office system (just 2-channel for now but I do have in ceiling surrounds) a few months back and it finally went so I applied for the program. They received the amp on Monday and I got a tracking number with it being returned on Tuesday. I should have it by the end of the week. Can't complain. I bought the unit as a refurb and had it in the basement system of my old house for a few years before I moved to the current place. I just got a refurb TX-RZ3100 for the main system and happy with it so far.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Got the unit back (and it is the same one as I inadvertently left a Cardas RCA Cap on it) and works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread