What's new

Onkyo HT-s9400THX (1 Viewer)

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
that is HTiB im getting. wanted to know if it should be fine in my room. i dont know how to measure my room so any help would be awesome. i will be mainly using it for blu ray movies and gaming on 360 and ps3. and sometimes on pc. ill be playing my music and tv threw it as well. its everything for my room heh. i would like to know if this is good anything i should know about like i said any big help would be awesome. just ask me what you need to get your final opinion or thats what i would do if i were you. thanks alot everyone hope to hear from the Pro's.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Check out my thread to see why you shouldn't get an HTiB and should individually piece together your speakers.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323378/so-i-have-2100-for-a-home-theater
I was desperate for an HTiB at first, but then I saw how much better my speakers could be if I went with individuals.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you're bent on getting a htib then the Onkyo 9400 is a good choice. Seperate components would be better but would most likely cost more. The 9400 has what amounts to an Onkyo 609 receiver and the speakers are much better than those in the other Onkyo htib's. In fact, they were co-designed by THX if that matters to anyone (probably not). But I would only get the refurbished one from ac4l.com for $599 + shipping. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html A 3 year extended warranty is an additional $45 if buying a refurb worries you. At $999 you can piece together something better.
Another option would be a refurbished Onkyo 515/509, Polk Monitor speakers from newegg.com or Amazon and a subwoofer from PartsExpress.com but with shipping it would add up to about the same or even more than the refurbed 9400.
Do you have a firm budget?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main issue with the 9400 is the inefficiency of the speakers, which (Last I checked, if I remember) is 83db. Some of the other speakers are as (in)efficient as 81db.
First actual question...
Do you actually need 3D capability?
Are you amenable to buying used equipment?
For the price of the 9400(especially your original source), you can do so much better in the speaker department and get something at least 88db(much better) and even into the low 90s.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
no i do not have a firm budget this is a side job and i was planning to getting this. and i dont like used things to much a of headache if it doesnt work and i never had good luck with used products. and also on new egg its on sale. i might take that offer if not. ill wait and see what choices you guys have for building a system. also i finished measuring my room. 12ft x 12ft. also 3D no im not doing 3D just using it for Blu ray movies that do 7.1 and videogame systems like i said its going to be my all around system.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pioneer 1022. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117410
Polk Monitor speakers http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006922&isNodeId=1&Description=monitor&x=20&y=17
2 pair of M 30, a CS1 and sub from PE. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628
Or Pioneer speakers. Two pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405 and this center http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404 and this subwoofer http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=303-430
1022 + PE sub + 2 pr M30's and CS1 = $700 +/-
1022 + BIC sub + 2 pr BS21's and C21 = $630 +/- (sale on Pioneer 21 speakers ends today but are on sale often. Be patient).
Not sure if either of those two setups are that much better than the 9400.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
thats amazing. thanks alot i will think about this. wow. i love the speakers but i dont have room for standing them im going to put them on my wall high up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Monitor 30's and Pioneer BS21's are small enough to be mounted on the wall (but not too hgh up I hope. Voices don't sound natual coming from the ceiling).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When possible(a picture of this wall and "why they are going high" would make sense) you should always try to make sure the tweeters are all in line. It also makes no difference if the center is above or below the TV.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok well i got the onkyo ht-s9400 thx but UPS messed up my subwoofer. the nobs under it are cracked and broken. the wood is chipped. but a little crazy glue and im good just set up everything and i like the system. i got a premium cable coax for the sub. sounds WAY better. now i was wondering what type of gauge for speaker wire i should use people say 16 then 14 is the best for this system and some even said 12. so im coming here to the PROs and i want your opinions and answers. thanks ill be playing xbox live. ill be back i guess in 1 hour.thanks for any help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I use lamp cord. Either 12 or 14 gauge...
If it is good enough for a vacuum/toaster oven/washer/lamp...it is good enough for speakers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, I'm probably too late with this but...
I like to use CL-2 rated in-wall speaker wire http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2819&seq=1&format=2 because it has a white cover over it which makes it less noticable. It also doesn't transfer fire as easily as regular speaker wire (or lamp cord :) ) which is also a good thing even if it isn't installed behind a wall. 14g is a good compromise between thinner 16g and over-kill 12g.
Don't forget to use a good surge protector, one on the subwoofer as well. And always make sure evrything is turned offwhen making connections.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
your not to late my room is black all black. and i got 14 gauge loud speaker cable high purity oxygen free copper 300 ft of it. BUT heres the problem and a nice little story...
So im very very excited like really REALLY excited. so UPS missed the delivery to my friends house its my system but it was shipped to him cause he used paypal. anyways UPS missed them. but we could go and pick it up so we did. line was long as HECK!, UPS guy is like yeah its in the back its heavy bring the car around the back so we do. he brings it out and i see the lower part of the box is missing and destroyed in my head im like a little worried and starting to get angry. but i said its prob fine so we open the box right then and there. and the subwoofer legs are broken. the and some of the speakers wood was cracked and broken. i said WTF. i said if the Receiver is damaged im going to be upset it wasnt. i said screw it leave all this garbage here as in the packaging let them clean it up they said they did not have bags or garbage bins in the building.....so i said OK we drove off. i came home pissed, started to connect the system some movies sound good then i threw in tron to test the 7.1 and just put transformers 2 thats when the 2 front speakers started to crack and make a weird noise like the speakers couldnt handle it and I KNOW IT COULD!!!. sooo i look at it and its messed up so UPS F***ED up my shipment its like they threw it around. if these ppl are tired of their jobs why not just quit. anyways now i got a claim from newegg and UPS is going to pick up the system and newegg is going to send me a NEW ONE.
so im happy about that but the WAIT BEGINS AGAIN!!!
anyways thanks for listening and ill get back to you PRO's with more questions when i get the new system again. this sucks back to my tritton headphones.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Way to go NewEgg! :tu: They gonna ship it UPS again? It will be handled by the exact same people who broke it the first time :confused: . I choose FedEx Ground whenever possible. Mostly because they have an office pretty close to home so pick-up's and deliveries are more convenient than UPS which is about 15 miles away :rolleyes: . I also like USPS believe it or not. They aren't in enough of a hurry to throw things around! :P (sorry US Postal workers. j/k :patriot: . ("Imagine...people in wool suits going door-to-door delivering Pottery Barn catelogs. Well, it's my job and I'm pretty damn serious about it!". Postmaster General on Seinfeld)
Hope you have better luck this time around.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
thanks i dont know if i could change from UPS to fedex ill call and ask. unless its to late. also does anyone know where i can go to find a great setup for the speaker placements and dolby tests for all sorts thanks alot in advance just trying to get ready when my next one arrives.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok so im to late but i was able to change the shipping address to mine. and i had to buy a damn box that costed $14 INSANE! just to fit the system in...big box. anyways i should be getting it tomorrow thursday sept 13 2012. heres to hoping its in perfect condition and in perfect working state. also Pro's why does the speakers crackle when i put tron on or transformers part 2 only the 2 front speakers do it left and right or when i play battlefield 3 on the xbox 360. are they messed up or do i need to use that good wire. either way ill find out when i get my new one. i think the old one was just all around messed up. and again any ideas or videos how to setup a 7.1? thanks where do i position the speakers or hang them?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
quizzicus said:
Gene, any reason you wouldn't match the Polk satellites with the BIC sub?
I can't see any reason not to, dpending on which Polk satellites. The 10" BIC sub goes up to 180 hz which should reach just about any Polk satellite speaker. The concensus is BIC subs are a bit better than Polk subs in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks