What's new

Onkyo HT-S760 Question (1 Viewer)

MikeGD

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm a HT noob who recently purchased an Onkyo HT-S760 HTIB system, which comes with the HT-R510 receiver. I haven't set up the system yet, as I'm waiting for delivery of a new television, a Toshiba 32AF43, on Saturday.

I would like to connect to my TV in such a way as to permit playback of analog cable (not everything; primarily music programs like Sound Stage, or other programs where PL II might enhance). The manual for the receiver does not specificly address this hookup. Should I connect to one of the analog inputs on the receiver, e.g., TAPE? Are ordinary audio cables sufficient?

Also, I would be interested in hearing about any other potential pitfalls that should be avoided during setup of this system, or in general.

Thanks,

Mike.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Does your receiver have an audio input labeled tv/sat? Thats where I connect the audio cable from my TV. But if yours doesnt have an input labeled tv then you can connect to one of the other audio inputs. Then when you watch TV just make sure you select that other source on the receiver in order to hear sound. And for your other question yes you can just use standard RCA type audio cables.

DarrenChan

Auditioning
MikeGD, fellow bargain hunter huh? I missed the deal for that television over at Amazon. I see that Vanns is selling your HT system for $500, how is it? I'm looking to build my first HT system and though I don't have a limit for the budget, I feel more comfortable with building a low cost HT system first before moving to a full scale system in 2 or 3 years.

MikeGD

Auditioning
Thanks, Bill

My receiver doesn't have a specificially-assigned connection, so I'm going to try the CD input.

Darren,

I didn't get around to setting up until yesterday, but so far the Onkyo sounds great (to me)! Realize that I'm not used to creme de la creme HT, so my standards may be lower than yours. The S&V set up disk improved the picture on the Toshiba considerably, and did the same for the audio calibrations.

I used the Fellowship of the Ring extended disk for a test, as this was the only one handy with 6.1 DTS. One noticeable improvement was that the dialogue coming from the front center was much easier to discern at low conversation levels.

Mike

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, you're certain that your receiver doesnt have a L/R audio input jack for the TV? That sounds very uncommon. Maybe someone else who owns this system can help out.

Agustin

Agent
Mike, you can plug your tv to any intrance, but its prefer to use Phono or Tape inputs, because CD and DVD uses Optical and coaxial inputs, so dont waist them

Peter_J_H

Auditioning
Mike,

I recently purchased the same HTIB, and am running my digital cable through the receiver as well. There is not a TV/Sat hookup in the back. Instead, the Onkyo provides Video 1, 2, and a front Video 3 input. You can run the audio through any of the hookups, but would probably be best to run through Video 1. I have mine hooked up to this, using standard gold plated RCAs. If your cable box provides optical outputs, you can configure the optical inputs on the receiver for Video 1 or 2.

Peter

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
Yea sorry if this post is redundant, but just to make things a little bit clearer...

I have an Onkyo HTiB, so my setup should be very similar to yours...

Run RCA's from your Audio OUT on your tv to Video 1 inputs on the back of your receiver.

I honestly dont think that analog cable will sound any different if you use ordinary gold plated RCA's or if you used Monster RCA's. I had ordinary RCA's, then I hooked up Monster RCA's because I had an extra set that I never used, and it doesnt sound any different honestly.

Not different enough where you should go out and buy new cables. The monster's just match the rest of my cables :)

Otherwise you should be fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks