What's new

Onkyo HT S5600 blu-ray audio and a/v input (2 Viewers)

ustrucx

Auditioning
Real Name
johnny
Hello guys,

I am looking to buy this receiver kit: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S5600&class=Systems

The first issue I have is the size of my room (5x5 meters approx.) and the furniture placement, I'll have to place the surround and back speakers on the ceiling, I know it's not ideal but it's what I can do in my room. I might end up using only 5.1.

Now on to the real deal, this receiver has hdmi 3D pass through, I'v read on it but the point is, will the 3D blu-ray movies I watch on my PS4 have the sound processed and output by the receiver at Dolby TrueHD (or best possible blu-ray audio) or not? If not, does that mean I am stuck with lower quality audio on 3D movies untill I upgrade my receiver or it means my PS4 will make the processing and the receiver will still output Dolby TrueHD? I want to be sure of that because it is a deal breaker if I'll have non-optimal 3D blu-ray audio.

Last thing is, on the site it say it doesn't have Analog to HDMI upscale, does that mean non HDMI video inputs (like old a/v cables) wont output to the HDMI out? Or does it mean it will output the a/v in, out on the HDMI output, as is?

Thank you guys very much, have a great day!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the PS4 can't bitstream(or decode itself) lossless audio with 3D...it won't do it with ANY RECEIVER. I don't have that answer. The feature (that no, the 5600 does not have) is called HDMI upconversion. Not upscaling (upconversion and upscaling have absolutely nothing, at all, to do with each other).

ustrucx

Auditioning
Real Name
johnny
Gotcha, so in a normal blu-ray player I'll have Dolby TrueHD out of my receiver, I was confused with the 3D pass through, I thought it meant that on 3D blu-rays my audio would come out the TV not the receiver (as in the receiver has no power to process 3D video audio track and just pass it to the tv).

The a/v input will output to the TV connected via HDMI, it's just that it wil appear on tv at it's original a/v resolution, correct?

I know this is an entry level HTiB that is cheap in the USA but here where I live I'll pay double the price plus shipping for my country taxes are 48% and that is the reason I am being super careful, thanks again for the help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks