What's new

Onkyo HT-RC-160 No Sound, No Audyssey...Dead? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tried hooking up my new Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver this week. All connections seem fine for components and speakers, but I cannot get sound of any kind. The receiver powers on, and the displays seem to indicate signals are being received (DTS via HDMI Blu Ray, FM radio shows "Tuned"), but nothing is being output to any speakers (I have a 5.1 setup that worked just fine with my old Sony receiver). Video signals seem to be fine, at least via HDMI. I have my BR player connected to HDMI1 and have an HDMI cable to my projector from the HDMI out. The picture from the projector is beautiful...just no sound.

Also, when I try and run the Audyssey auto-configuration utility, the process will not move past the second screen. I get the first screen to confirm speaker type, press "Enter," then the next screen comes up to put the microphone in the center position then press "Enter." The system will not respond to my "Enter" command from either the remote or the front panel. It just keeps flashing "Press Enter/Next" and will not respond no matter how many times I keep pressing "Enter."

I tried running Audyssey several times with the same result. I also unplugged the Onkyo power cord and plugged it in again to see if something would reset. No dice.

Is this unit just dead out of the box? Or am I missing some secret step to activate this receiver?

My first time purchasing an Onkyo product and it has not been pleasant so far.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Malcom

Have you just tried using just two channel mode, do you get any sound to just two channnels ? To me it sounds dead out of the box, I had a really old Sony CD/ DVD player that was dead out of the box. I would not waste time with it, return it where you bought if from as quickly as possible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Charlieetzel127

Malcom

Have you just tried using just two channel mode, do you get any sound to just two channnels ? To me it sounds dead out of the box, I had a really old Sony CD/ DVD player that was dead out of the box. I would not waste time with it, return it where you bought if from as quickly as possible.
I haven't specifically checked for a two-channel option, but I did hook up my CD player and tried to play FM radio so it seems even analog connection (CD) and no connection (FM) do not work.

Fortunately it was purchased from Costco which pretty much has an unlimited return policy on most everything (it was a Christmas present, so it has been awhile since purchase).

Thanks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Costco refunded our money, no questions asked. Now, to shop for something else (Costco isn't currently carrying any receivers).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doubt anyone's all that interested, but for the sake of closure I'll report that I just received my new Denon AVR-2310 this week. Only $525 from 6ave.com which seems like a good deal (free super-fast shipping, too; I ordered Sunday evening and it was at my door on Tuesday).

Hooked it up today and have mostly played only CD/radio, but I can already hear the difference in sound quality even using the same speakers and other components (and have not yet run Audyssey calibration, either). It's replacing a Sony STR-DE845 which I've loved for about 10 years now, but it's definitely an upgrade in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks