What's new

Onkyo 770 HTiB Keeps Unexpectedly Shutting Off... (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
When watching films, especially movies that have a lot of action that takes advantage of the 5.1, the receiver just shuts off.

The funny thing is that I'm NOT playing the movie loud. It has shut off at volume levels at 35, 33, and even lower at like 29 and 28. What could be the problem? I tried disconnecting all the wires and reconnecting, but had the same issue.

Is it a setup issue regarding the speaker sound level or subwoofer? Is it that you have to play movies very low to prevent automatic shutoff? Is there some option I need to toggle on or off--maybe a mode that actually purposefully turns my receiver off even when I don't want it to? Could it be something else?

Thanks.

brac

Agent
Try letting a movie play with the speakers not attached....
If it works OK then you may have a speaker problem drawing too much power..

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if that is the case, what would you do about it? Is it something I can fix regarding the decibel levels, or would I need a new speaker/speaker set?

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Well...I noticed that my surround left speaker's wire (blue one) is literally exposed, and there is copper wire (not a lot, but a decent amount) coming out at a split on the wire.

I took out the blue wire, hooked up the rest of the five speakers and then turned the sound up. It worked. I tried playing too different movie scenes in the volume ranges of the mid to high 30's.

Do you think this could've been the problem?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Try it with the bad wire disconnected, then reconnect the bad wire. If it plays fine without it, then shuts off with it connected that will most likely be your short causing the receiver to fault into protection mode and shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks