What's new

Onkyo 705 or 706? (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
It's time for me to upgrade my receiver and I've narrowed it down to either the Onkyo 705 or 706.

Differences of the two are as follows:

Onkyo 705:
3 DSP chips
Audyssey MultiEQ XT
3 HDMI inputs
720p upconversion
$450

Onkyo 706:
2 DSP chips
Audyssey MultiEQ
4 HDMI inputs
1080p upconversion
THX Select 2 Plus
$560

The rest of the setup includes:
Oppo DV980H
Panny BD35
Panny 58PZ800U

Amp quality isn't much of a concern since I'm using an external amp for the 3 front channels.

Which one should I go for??

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 'up conversion' on the 705 is a not good. I don't know about the 706, but don't expect much. They both work fine for HDMI video pass thru.

I think the 706 is a step backwards. The 706 gives you one more HDMI and Dynamic EQ/Volume. It loses MultEQ XT, which IMO, is a HUGE loss. The 705 is THX Select.

If you can find a new 705, go for it.

joeyunity

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
With the list of components you listed i would go with the 706. Many people like to use the upscale option in their receivers which in some cases works better then letting your TV do the converting. The TV you own actually processes and converts the signal correctly therefore the need to use the receiver as the video converting point is useless.

Also, the 705 do have major grounding issues which cause hum within the audio. if the power in your home is not super clean.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Guess I could say do buy a 705. I have one and do not have a hum issue.

This has been discussed enough to know that the hum issues are usually caused by something external. I know, I heard the design issues from one disgruntled owner/troll.

If you can still find a 705 or 805 go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks