What's new

Onkyo 535/636...bit of news...now 737/838 (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo, on these two at least, has "re-named" Audyssey. Has their proprietary AccuEQ...as well(hhhmmm. Product tech sheet says AccuEQ, features list Aud MultiEQ as of 3/19)

Even more streaming services...but still not allowed on Zone 2(OK Onkyo...catch up here...maybe the 737???)

636 specific...
They brought back dedicated phono input...and look at all those stereo analog...

535 specific...
No more wifi/bluetooth dongle needed.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR636&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
737/838 announced....

News on AccuEQ...

Bypasses the main L/R. Sounds intriguing to just bypass them(Marantz has had the option to bypass for 2-3 years now).

737 adds...

4ohm
3-stage Darlington on all channels.
Separate video power supply(new price point for that)
Net and USB allowed on Zone 2(About damn time Onkyo)

Push/pull amp design
Pure Direct(737 just has direct)
Zone 2* adds HDMI(737 is NET/USB only)
Width channel(since it isn't DSX...wonder what DSP it is)
Pre-outs

*Zone 2 is the option of the 2nd HDMI itself used for Zone 2 to another TV...or as an audio only zone that still has access to the audio from HDMI inputs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do they still have clickey-clack solenoids for switching modes? I've been an onkyo owner for 15 yrs, and I'm probably ready for a new brand after years of the clacking. It's more frequent now with HDTV, it seems.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Audyssey - "renamed"?

I read their statement on AccuEQ as their own "proprietary" product. I'll wait for both professional as well as real-world testimonials on AccuEQ, but it sounds as though they have taken something of "proven" value, and replaced it with something that sounds far more limited in its capabilities, reducing the overall value of the product.

Time, and reviews will tell, but after having been a loyal Onkyo customer for 20 years, and considering my options on upgrading my TX-NR905, this may be the year where I opt for a competing brand.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
DaveF said:
Do they still have clickey-clack solenoids for switching modes? I've been an onkyo owner for 15 yrs, and I'm probably ready for a new brand after years of the clacking. It's more frequent now with HDTV, it seems.
Agreed! I'm getting noticeable "clickey-clack" when the receiver switches audio during commercial breaks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
SpenceJT said:
Agreed! I'm getting noticeable "clickey-clack" when the receiver switches audio during commercial breaks.
Yep, it's the commercials switching from HD to SD, or surround to stereo. Multiple clackety switches in a single show.

I've ignored it for over a decade, but it's starting to bug me. I'm not tossing my 767 over this, but it will be a consideration whenever I get to upgrade it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks