What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
He was also the voice of Friar Tuck in Disney's Robin Hood :cool:
robin-hood-L-DOlQhk.jpeg
D'ja ever see ANDY'S GANG, a 60's kiddie t.v. show? You tube it. It's quintessential Devine. I was weaned on this along with scores of other 50's kiddie shows. Wonderful stuff.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
He wasn't a regular, but he wasn't just a normal one-shot guest. He was semi-regular for a stretch. He was prominent during Buck Benny episodes.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I think he was also that guy Jimmy Buffet wished he'd had an autographed picture of.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
He also made a cameo appearance in the Batman TV Series -- he was dressed as Santa Claus and stuck his head out the window as Batman and Robin "scaled" the wall. While watching the show, we recognized Devine's distinctive voice but couldn't remember his name (you couldn't see his face well with the Santa beard). Doesn't it drive you crazy when that happens? Thank goodness for IMDB. :lol:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday, July 31, 2016

56056_front.jpg

Have You Ever Been Bit By A Dead Bee?

They simply just don't make movies like this anymore. My first time watching this film on any format, and I highly enjoyed To Have and Have Not. in fact, I dare say, it's right up there with Casablanca.

Exceptionally well written dialogue and finely acted film, with memorable chemistry between its leads, Bogart and Bacall.

My favorite performance was from Walter Brennan, who I think plays one of the most convincing "rummies" I have ever seen. His mannerisms are down to the tee.

As is impressive of the film itself is the transfer. Warner has done an outstanding job with a difficult restoration. The print looks pristine, revealing detailed imagery.

I still have Key Largo and The Big Sleep to get to at some point. Hoping those are just as enjoyable.

Now back to the stack of Criterion Blu-rays I need to get through....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It has been awhile since I updated this thread. I have been finishing watching my rather large handful of recent B&N Criterion sale titles, but have not had the time to come here and talk about them.

Consider this a catch-up post.

With the exception of one title, this is a list of films I am experiencing for the very first time ever. As with most all of the other titles mentioned in this thread, these are true Blu-ray discoveries. Furthermore, one title came as a complete surprise to me and now ranks as an all-time favorite, while another (by the same Director) continues to be one of the most disliked films in my entire collection.

Let's begin...

pathscrit.jpg

I have to begin by saying that I fought very hard not to buy this Blu-ray. You see, I had four titles to purchase in order to qualify for a B&N coupon. I already had three that I really wanted, and was trying to figure out the fourth. I asked HTF members for assistance with choosing that fourth title and Paths of Glory kept coming up as a recommendation. However, I didn't want it. I wanted something lighter. In the end, after adding and removing it to my shopping cart several times, I finally resigned to ordering this title. I even held off watching it until it was the last movie remaining in my pile.

I watched Paths of Glory early this morning. I was completely enthralled by this story, it's acting, and cinematography. There were just moments where I sat there and openly exclaimed, "Wow, what a remarkable motion picture."

Having seen enough Kubrick films, I could see his signature all over this. Some of the cinematography is arguably unforgettable. There's a tracking shot 1/4 of the way into the film, within the trenches, where we see officers come to attention as Kirk Douglas walks his way through. His face is of stone -- without the batting of an eyelash -- as his trench is being shelled with heavy artillery. It's one of those cinematic moments one never forgets.

For so many reasons, this is one of the greatest war films ever made. A brutal story of deciding who gets to live or die. I cannot recommend this film enough. It belongs in every collection.

ONLY-ANGELS-HAVE-WINGS.jpg

Wasn't overly blown away by Only Angels Have Wings, but I will admit I enjoyed it -- particularly for its flight sequences. Interesting to find that Noah Beery Jr. (who would eventually become Rockford's sidekick) is in this film.

Good solid film, but alas, not the masterpiece that I had anticipated. Still, highly recommended.

81VoHnp7kOL._SX342_.jpg

A thoroughly nice surprise! After watching so many Bogart films that take place in the congo, here was something a little different. Bogart takes on a much deeper, darker role than he has in the past as a man in turmoil, destroyed by his drinking and temper.

One of the nicest surprises for me was Gloria Grahame, who has become one of my favorite actresses in classic film. She is beautiful and very talented.

Terrific film. Really loved it. Highly recommended!

821_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

This is the point where I fear all the hate posts I am about to receive for saying this...

Dr. Strangelove is among the worst films I have ever seen. That also includes 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I first saw Dr. Strangelove about 20 years ago on DVD. I only remember not enjoying it. However, time and aging has a way of changing one's perspective on films. I wanted to give this film another opportunity, so this past week I sat down and watched it again. It's just as awful as I had first remembered it. Despite the fact it has one of my all-time favorite comedians, Peter Sellers, in the starring role (and among many others) -- it still suffers from being overly dry. I don't think there's a single laugh in this film. I kind of "get it" as to why it has risen to the status it has, but like 2001: A Space Odyssey, it just comes off as being too full of itself. By that, I mean it's more about visuals than actually being entertaining.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Kubrick. There are one or two films of his I have yet to see, but everything from The Shining forward, I have really enjoyed. That even goes for his more obscure, Eyes Wide Shut. In fact, now that I have just seen Paths of Glory, I rate it as his very best film that I have had the opportunity to see.

However, I hope some understand my utter distain for Dr. Strangelove and 2001. Both those films are a rough two hours to sit through.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

I respect your opinion about Dr. Strangelove. Different strokes for different folks. However, you didn't find anything funny in George C. Scott's performance? Nothing he said in this film cause you to chuckle?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron,

I respect your opinion about Dr. Strangelove. Different strokes for different folks. However, you didn't find anything funny in George C. Scott's performance? Nothing he said in this film cause you to chuckle?

Not really. The only part that I found mildly funny was when he had to take a phone call from his girlfriend while seated at the Pentagon war room table.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Comedy is not only for individual tastes, but satirical comedy really divides people, and that's what Kubrick's masterpiece is. Released the same year as Dr. Strangelove, Fail-Safe handled the same grim subject matter with the opposite approach: deadly serious and with not a wisecrack in sight. Same basic themes with two entirely different approaches. Both for me are treasures.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another factor that those of us that grew up in the Cold War era and actually practiced nuclear fallout drills in school might find the intended satirical comedy more humorous than those that didn't grow up in that era.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, despite the fact that Dr. Strangelove is the film I know I have watched more times than any other, a defining film for me in terms of how I feel about movies, and featuring what I thought was a truly hilarious set of performances from Mr. Sellers...well...I hold nothing against you for not liking it, Ron. When pinned down and asked what my favorite film is...this is most often my answer.

I will say I find it hard to believe that you did not at least chuckle a little at the conversations between President Muffley and Premier Kissoff...or even a bit at Group Captain Mandrake attempting to convince Col. Bat Guano to shoot the Coca-Cola machine but obviously...just as we don't all find the same things frightening, we don't find the same things funny.

This is one of the films that really made me lose a lot of interest in recommending movies to people. Basically, I showed it to a group of people because I was asked to show one of my favorite films and they sat stone faced and squirming through the whole thing. They hated it, did not find it funny in the least and basically could not believe it was one of my favorite pictures. I literally ended up getting pummeled with questions about what I actually liked about the film and was sort of shocked by the idea I was standing there attempting to defend Kubrick's film...but it was a younger audience and for whatever reason they just did not connect with it at all. Maybe it is, as Robert says above, that younger people don't have any feelings about when Russia and the US were giants that were capable of at any moment destroying the world through nuclear holocaust. True enemies in a deadly and crazy arms race. One that so obsessed and frightened Kubrick that he read all he could get his hands on about it...and claimed to have discovered it was all so absurd that if anyone were to make a movie about it...well...it could only be a comedy. And so we have Strangelove.

One other note about the film I have always found amusing. Kubrick had a really hard time getting clean takes when Sellers was performing because everybody would crack up at what he did...which would often change over multiple takes...and Kubrick himself was one of the worst offenders. It was so bad that if you watch the background characters you will catch them laughing when they should not be. Kubrick had to use some of these blown takes in the film because he just could not get one where the other actors did not laugh. Watch Peter Bull near the end of the film as he stands behind Dr. Strangelove as he explains how they can survive the nuclear attack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks