What's new

One Step Beyond - The Final Chapters coming from Mill Creek Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Here's a surprise . . . . .

On May 6, Mill Creek Entertainment will be releasing the final 47 episodes of "One Step Beyond" after having released a collection of 50 episodes early last year. What surprises me is that some of the episodes, perhaps a dozen or so, are not public domain as is the bulk of the series. I wonder if the copyright registrations lapsed on these episodes or if Mill Creek was able to get the rights. Regardless, this will be the first full commercial DVD release of the series. I'm guessing that Mill Creek will eventually put out all 97 episodes in a single collection. Details here:

Mill Creek Details Page

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.
Thanks for the heads up on this, Bob...I've always liked this series--I used to watch it Sunday afternoons on WGN when I was a mere sprat and found it very well done.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Ivan, Mill Creek's initial, 50-episode set included the typical "worn but watchable" 16 mm prints that are associated with most releases of public domain television episodes and I'm expecting more of the same here, especially give the selling price. But since the vast majority of the episodes in this second collection are seeing their very first commercial DVD release, who knows, maybe they will look better. Any way you slice it, this will likely be a big seller for Mill Creek because the majority of these episodes haven't been previously released on commercially available DVDs and the opportunity to finally own the entire series will, I think, be a big drawing card.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
This is actually too bad as I was negotiating a deal for another company to gain access to a complete run of the series from a large television archive. Besides the full run, which although they would have been off 16, not 35, would have been cleaned up and made to look nice. In addition, some extras planned were an extended version of the pilot, the never released feature film version of the two-part Peter Hurkos Story as well as audio of some interviews I conducted with John Newland, Merwin Gerard and others. Oh well.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Hank, that's very unfortunate. I wonder if there still would be some viability for your release if the episodes were of considerably better a/v quality than what has typically been released to date by the PD companies. The fact that you have interview material and other extras would enhance such a release. If nothing else, how about a "One Step Beyond" single disc, special edition with the extended pilot, Peter Hurkos feature film version and audio interviews? Nobody else has these (or, at least, has released them).

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I am glad to be seeing them come at least... as I just recently bought the first boxset as a blind buy and enjoyed what I seen so far... so looking forward to owning all the episodes.

Tom.W

Second Unit
I noticed Mill Creek's list indicates run time of 25 minutes. Even if some or many of these are PD, at least they are fairly complete. Don't know for sure if the actual original run times were closer to 25:30. After years of cut syndicated episodes being shown on tv (eg. SCi Fi channel in the late 90's), these should be a significant upgrade.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I will certainly second that!

What is needed is a good quality release of this marvellous anthology tv series and if there is still hope than by all means continue those all-important negotiations.

We don't need any more of those abysmally dreary public domain issues. As much as I like this show I am not buying that upcoming Mill Creek set.

Let's get something going for the more serious and discerning vintage tv series collector!

Jeff T.

brian_hassel

Agent
Real Name
Brian Hassel
I noticed Mill Creek's website has removed the upcoming release of One Step Beyond: The Final Chapters. I emailed them about it and received the following message:

"Due to some production issues, the title has been removed from the release schedule and is being considered for release at a later date."

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Interesting. Mill Creek's initial DVD set of the series was strictly a release of public domain episodes. Many of the remaining episodes are also in the public domain, but about a dozen or so of them supposedly are still under copyright. I wonder if Mill Creek found out about this after making the announcement (and creating cover art) and is maybe now pulling back a little. Maybe the folks that Hank Dearborn mentioned in post #4 of this thread could reconsider, given this development.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I am still in favour of Hank Dearborn's proposed DVD release of ONE STEP BEYOND. Take note of all the special bonus material that would be included in addition to better quality video transfers.

This should be attracting considerable interest!

Jeff T.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'd love to see some episodes with the original Alcoa Presents titles intact.

Alain-Michel

Auditioning
Real Name
Alain
Hi All,

Sorry that I am coming to this party late. I have just watched the last dvd of the 4 dvd set for the first 50 episodes of OSB. I purchased it at my local Wal-Mart for $5. I am not much of a purist when it comes to video acuity; I was more interested in the program content. I was not at all disappointed for my $5 investment. So far, my favorite episode is "Tidal Wave"; just as it was 48 years ago.

I also remember an episode [vaguely!] where young parents take their children to the country. Mom, son and daughter go off exploring and are gone an inordinate amount of time. Mom returns and tells Dad that there has been a collapse in the gold mine they were exploring and the kids are trapped.

Dad comes a'running and begins to throw off rock and debris in the search for his kids. The sheriff and posse finally come to assist. They are able to extricate the kids but find mom dead at the bottom of a rocky pile of debris!!!

Can't wait till I relive this one again! I'd also like to share one spooky story, regarding this episode with you.

I was a kid living in Newark, New Jersey while this series aired on Channel 7 [ABC] broadcasting from New York City. It was a very stormy night; thunder and lightning! During the show, a blast of lightning and thunder struck the power pole down the street AND...all the lights on the street went out!

I ran into the corner of the room and stayed there for a long time!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

There seems to be some speculation as to whether [or not] the second volume of the remaining shows will [ever] be issued by Mill Creek.

Has anyone seen this listing for the complete 98 episodes!? I heard no mention of it or any other website offering the full, three season DVD set, complete.

There is a website boasting a full 98 episode DVD set, but I can't post the URL until I have 9 more posts under my belt. You'll probably find it before that occurs!

All The Best!

Alain

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I own the fifty-episode set, and will probably spring for this set just to own the episodes I don't have in my collection at this point.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

There are a couple circulating on DVD. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which specific ones, but I think the recent Mill Creek set has at least two and that other one with the case that looks like a book had one. It's kind of frustrating that all releases have been public domain. On the other hand, it's interesting because with the varied source material, some odd variations have surfaced (like a few Alcoa versions). I got one of those Dollar DVDs in a cardboard sleeve which used syndicated prints with a red Worldvision logo at the end. It would be cool if someone who had a set of complete prints in good shape would put them together into a respectable release. It wouldn't be the same as an official release from the masters, but at least it would be better than tracking them down individually, episode by episode, having to wade through duplicate after duplicate...

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I never really followed this show, just picked up a couple of PD releases on a whim (can't lose for a buck or two), but if Mr. Dearborn were to go ahead with his project, I'd be in too!

Alain-Michel

Auditioning
Real Name
Alain
I've just come across the url for the full 98 episode OSB on dvd. I have no pecuniary interest in this matter at all. Just trying to assist anyone interested.

Deleted by moderator; do not repost.

Alain

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Alain, TVAddicts are notorious bootleggers and should not be discussed on this forum. While the vast majority of episodes of "One Step Beyond" are public domain (a legitimate topic to discuss), a small number of episodes, perhaps a dozen or so are supposedly still under copyright and are only authorized for release by the copyright holder (which TVAddicts is not). You can read about some of the problems people have encountered with TVAddicts here:

Complaints Board | TVAddicts.com

One way that you can determine if a site is selling legitmate releases or not is to check TVShowsonDVD.com. For example, if a site says its selling all nine seasons of a series and you only see the first three seasons listed at TVShowsonDVD.com then in all probablility it's a bootleg release. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks