What's new

One of my car's tires is slowly deflating: What do I do? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
One of my car's tires seems to be gradually deflating. It loses about 1/3 of it's pressure every week. Can I get it patched or do I have to replace it?
Is it possible that the rim is causing the deflating? Thanks.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Take it into a tire shop. There is most likely a very small hole and can easily be patched. If it's the rim, I'm sure they'll have some way of fixing that too. You shouldn't have to pay any more than $20. I'd really expect a price somewhere between $7 and $15.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You could also quickly check to see if the valve core is loose or leaking by putting a drop of light oil or soapy water on it after removing the cap. They can become loose or bent causing a slow leak, easily fixed by tightening or replacing the core. The soapy water can also be sprayed on the bead-to-rim joint to check for bubbles. Rust or cornering with low pressures can pop the bead loose; this usually requires deflating completely to clean the surfaces. Not usually a first timers do-it-yourselfers job.An air compresser is usually required to reseat the tire. Next stop would be a service station. Cornering with low pressure can instantly and completely deflate the tire causing loss of control. I wouldn't put off fixing it.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
A solution of water and some soap mixed in is very good to find leaks, because the soap will bubble. Dabbing a little on the valve stem at the rubber gromet, as well as at the core of the valve stim, could reveal the problem, or you could have a nail still in the tire, and the leak is slow around it.
------------------
Lexman's Theater

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Why not check on a road hazard warranty that may have come with your tires?
That makes it free!
LL cool B

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It could be one of several problems -- rim leak, nail/screw in tire, valve leak. I've had them all on my '93 Camry XLE. It's aluminum rims are particularly susceptible to rim leaks. I've had at least 6 rim leak repairs over the years on this car. I keep a 12-volt air compressor in the trunk at all times.
Any of the above can be repaired at a tire shop.
------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think pretty much every shop provides hazard repair now.. if you go back to where you bought them they might patch it for free, otherwise les schwab always patches tires for free if they're in you're area.
I had a tire go completly flat the other day, and I drove about a block on the sidewall before I realized it (in the city at around 30 mph I was shocked at how hard it was to tell it was flat.. anyway) so I took it back to sam's club where I bought them 15 months ago and got a new one for free. Drove over some big metal thing and sliced through the tread. Road hazard covered it, since I had 11 of 12mm left it was 100% coverage

Don Black

Screenwriter
Hmmmm.... Do the tires that come with a new car have hazard coverage usually? My car is a 2001 BMW 330i. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks