What's new

Once and for all..which Lawrence of Arabia has best picture and sound? (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris

Well I have seen Lawrence of Arabia at the Odeon Marble Arch in London back in 1988, 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo SR, and at the Odeon Westover Road hear in Bournemouth twice in Dolby Stereo SR.

Now the thing that I have noticed with the region 2 DVD is a major fault in the authoring of the languages, the English and Spanish versions on disc 2, time 16m.11s has Maurice Jarre score suddenly sounding like a strangled cat!

It makes a hefty jump, and the rhythm, and the scene is basically spoiled for me, unquestionable!?

So Robert’ do you know what was responsible for this error in the authoring, as it sticks out like a sore thumb!

It reminds me of the line in “Gremlins” 1984, “good damn foreign films” not only is the score cocked up! But the sound on the monaural surrounds for each version is different in, and the pitch speed of the sound, I thought only the dialogue would be replaced with a language that each country would understand, and keep the sound effects and score in its place, without any alteration.

Foley, where Lawrence’s foot steps onto the train roofs carriage, at 16m.12s, it sounds different in each language version, muted in the English version! WTF is going on hear! Dull and muted slightly as if someone pulled the HF plug out on the active X over, in the Spanish version.

The German version is clear sounding with Lawrence’s foot step!

Now this is really depressing or what, makes me what to toss this DVD straight out the window!

So Robert’ which cowboy cowed this DVD up! Was it Columbia UK, or was this done somewhere in the USA, maybe they should fire this person and employ someone like myself, as I have hearing like a BAT on good day!

I’m not happy bunny about this, I’m sick of the manufactures taking the consumer for a ride, I bet you would be barking mad if you heard this UK region cowed up 2 version, thank you Columbia, can I trade this in, the DVD was issued in 2000, and I’m not very happy, when I hear that, the sound mix is as been completely buggered up!

If someone noticed I had “Lawrence of Arabia” on DVD, I would be too embarrassed to play it, as disc 2 is going to make me cringe!

Now I have started to lose faith in these director cuts, special editions, that have been plaguing the DVD market with these abominations, Escape from New York was the last strew, “ He’s dangerous sir” re-positioned in the centre, instead of it being panned to the right screen channel!

Boycott Special Editions, or just for heavens sakes get it done right!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can only speak for myself.

This would be a question for Sony.

RAH

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Although I fear Mr Su, as usual, is exaggerating minor faults - especially as we're talking about a decade's old film with problematic source material, the Superbit version is superior in a/v quality to the original release and corrects many such audio error's...

M

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris

Well cheers for that Robert’ I’ll send them an Email and see what they have to say about this discrepancy in the authoring, mate if you where to hear it, it is just awful, thou I still have a VHS PAL widescreen version of the film, released around one year after the theatrical restoration release, and the sound music and dialogue is spot on.

So what in the blazes happened with this DVD version is beyond me, could comment on what possible problems that could have cropped up during the authoring of the DVD.

Mark

As for exaggerating the matter, maybe I am, but it as completely spoiled the film for me, based on what I heard, I just don’t believe it, how in the hell did this happen!

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Does it really matter how it happened, when a superior dvd edition is already available for less than a tenner and the impending blu-ray release will almost certainly be even better

M

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I have a purely aesthetic question regarding the Lawrence discs. The film image on the 2-disc SE is quite a bit above the centre of the TV frame. Is the Superbit edition more centred?

It's only a minor thing but it's something that's always p'd me off about the 2-disc Lawrence.

Ta,

John

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mark

Well I wouldn’t be surprised at all, if the same problem exists on this newer version, if you happen to have it, A&B the different languages, and listen out for the music and Foley foot steps where Lawrence walks across the train carriages roof top, and tell me honestly the sound for the English language version is spot.

I’m viewing "Spartacus" at the moment, so I’ll talk later when the intermission comes up.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Um, I think the assertion re: a repositioning to the center channel of a line of dialogue turning a DVD presentation into an abomination is just a BIT over-the-top. And I thought I was obsessive about soundtracks. :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
My initial copy of LoA was the single disc release and I was happy with it because it was the first version of the movie I've owned.

When I found a used copy of the 2-disc 'cloth' set, I snagged that for the extras and sold off the single disc.

Much to my surprise, the movie was spread over two discs and the extras were pretty good too.

I've heard good things about the SB version, but for now I'd rather have extras than tweaked colors and DTS.

There's always HD...

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I have the PAL region 4 2 disc Superbit and I was too immersed in the story to notice any edge enhancement etc etc

I think we should all be grateful that this thing exists in the fine form that it does.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

jim

LOL

Well if there going to cow there own work up, I will be there, and I will be listening, for any minor or major discrepancies.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
the american superbit isn't sped up,so no sound trickery, and also has the option of a dts track. It might be more to your liking.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I went looking at Best Buy for the Superbit edition today, but came up empty. I've been meaning to get it for quite a while, and this thread made me decide to just get the damn thing once and for all. The search continues....

andySu

Senior HTF Member
There is a Superbit Region 2 DVD, so should I buy that one, and what if, what if has the same problem with the scene that I have described, man I would go frigging nuts really, I would.

So sometime next week I’ll go on a hunting exhibition, and hunt down a Superbit version at a low price mind you, I will not pay over £15,00 UK, if I can see one going for less I’ll buy it, and if it as the same problem, you can bet I’ll be taking straight back from where I brought it from on the same day! As it will only take me a few minutes to see, sorry hear whether the films ok or not!

I may pop on down to Borders Book store today, to see if they have a Superbit version, looks like it’s going to be really nice sunny day.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Well after viewing “Spartacus” in a new thread, I’m going DVD hunting now, going down town to see whether they have a “superbit” version of “Lawrence of Arabia” going for £15.00 pounds or less, catch you later film buffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks