What's new

On the Waterfront - My 2 cents (1 Viewer)

DevinM

Auditioning
I just finished watching Columbia/Tristar's above average dvd and seeing as I haven't seen one review appear on the web yet, I figure I'll toss out my views.
It goes without saying that the film is a classic, featuring excellent performances by all the principle cast, notably a young Marlon Brando. More classic lines and scenes than I can count. A definite must-see, regardless of the format. Now as for the DVD...
The video quality was average at best. While a number of scenes were perfectly crisp and clear, an even greater number exhibited specks, lines, bright spots, grain, you name it. The grain caused what I believe is called a "shimmering effect", where portions of the screen would "dance" and vary in brightness. Many other scenes exhibited poor detail and greyscale definition. Edge enhancement was prevalent. By far not the worst transfer I've ever seen, but not the best either.
The audio thankfully was miles ahead of the video. The dialogue came through clearly and at no point did I notice any excessive distortion or hiss. The Leonard Bernstein score came through perky and clean when it kicked in.
I managed to take a quick glimpse at the extras...first is a commentary with a Kazan biographer. I haven't listened but at least a commentary is present. Next up is a short "exclusive featurette" with a number of people discussing the famous "contender" scene. Finally is an interview with Elia Kazan, the film's director.
Overall a very decent dvd, and a phenominal film. If you find a good deal on this one I say go for it, but dont expect a Citizen Kane level presentation.
Film - 10/10
Video - 7/10
Audio - 9/10

Derek J

Grip
I'm a huge Brando fan and I am so happy that this DVD is finally out. You are right, this is an incredible film with so many memorable scenes and great lines. I think this film, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Godfather feature three of Brando's greatest performances. Does the DVD contain any extras that are worth mentioning? Also since the picture quality needs some work do you think they might release another version of this film? If so then I'm waiting. That really pisses me off. I wish the studios would release just one version of each film and do a good job the first time instead of re-releasing all these "special editions".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hope it's not presumptuous of me to answer, but here goes:
If so then I'm waiting. That really pisses me off. I wish the studios would release just one version of each film and do a good job the first time instead of re-releasing all these "special editions".
The studios have to balance costs. They may have considered a full restoration of the film and decided it was too expensive for the returns they might get. Yes, Waterfront is a prestigious title, but money makes the world go round, and they won't drop millions to reinvigorate something that won't reclaim the money. For the record, Waterfront COULD use some work, but the result was still perfectly acceptable for its age...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the video presentation of "On the Waterfront" was pretty damn good especially if you compare it to the recent dvd release of "From Here to Eternity". Sure, there are a few grainy scenes and some specks but overall, I thought the dvd look very good. As far as the extras, the featurette which talked about the famous "contender" scene was excellent which gave me some insight into how that particular scene played out. I am still in the process of watching the dvd again with the audio commentary of film critic Richard Schickel and Elia Kazan biographer Jeff Young. Overall, I'm very satisfied with Columbia's dvd release of this great film.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that it's 2006 and we still don't have proper Special Editions of any of the Sony Brando films.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I thought the video presentation of "On the Waterfront" was pretty damn good especially if you compare it to the recent dvd release of "From Here to Eternity".
i would agree. thought the disc looked and sounded more than acceptable.

the film itself was a disappointment for me.

Brando displayed a lot of magnetism but the film/story played as very stilted to me- especially with the priest always rushing up conviently just as the conflict had passed. almost as if he was waiting in the wings until it was safe to enter the scene- which i felt compromised his role as the films conscience or voice of reason.

or maybe i was misinterpreting it. maybe the priest was supposed to be interpreted as being full of air and ineffectual, with his values being worthless to this particular community. maybe the film was being subversive in a way i didn't realize.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
a restored widescreen version of the film airs on tcm often. i personally think the framing is better on the ws version, and the print is alot better as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks