What's new

On the verge of loosing it! Please help with Yamaha receiver (1 Viewer)

MathBrisk

Grip
Well, I've been intensly reading reviews/posts about receiver for the last few days and I'm getting more and more confuse. At first I was set on the Yamaha HTR 5550 at 199 $ US (great deal and they ship to Canada). It pretty much had all I needed. Still one thing I'm not to sure about : The 56xx has the ToPArt built and the 55xx doesn't seem to. What does that change exactly ? Are the 56xx much better ?

After reading all the complaints about how weak this amp was, I'm starting to be less confident about this purchase. I currently have a Pioneer VSXD 409 with 4 Paradigms Titans + CC170 + D-box 303 sub. I find my receiver to be pretty crappy.

I don't care about the extra inputs/outputs, all I want is great sound and decent (best I can afford in this price range)power. I'll be listening 65 % movies 35 % music. Again, I was tempted by Yamaha, mostly because of the price/quality combo since I haven't found any other company which offers decent receiver at that price. I'd be ready to pay a little more for a better quality receiver but nothing to excessive (lets say.. under 300 $ US, or even a little more if justified).
Thanks a lot for helping me... I'm desperate here :

Note : Sorry for posting 2 similar threads.. I didn't realise I posted here before (yeah I know I should consider getting some sleep ;P)

Lee M T

Second Unit
I wish I could help you on the TopArt thing. Yamaha says "Yamaha's Digital ToP-ART Technology assures the purest circuits and transmission." Sounds neat. hehe I'm not sure how much of a difference, if any that would make. Although it seems that people are preferring this years Yammie's as opposed to the last few. Maybe I'm just seeing things though. I have a Yammie from this year, the RX-V640, which is comparable to the HTR-5660. I noticed a huge improvment over my previous Pioneer. I think you will too, even with the older Yammie.

Hopefully someone else can get more technical.

Good luck,
Lee

MathBrisk

Grip
Thanks for the input.

Are there any known differences between this year and last years yammie ? (other than the obvious ones like 6.1 discreet)

Also, since someone was asking, I'm from Montreal, Quebec.
Any other suggestions ?

THanks a lot !

Johan Meyer

Auditioning
I am also looking for a good Reciever

Kinda of difficult as there are so many opinions out there

What I have picked up is that Yamaha is great for in your face blast you away kinda Reciever if thats what you looking for

But if you want more transparent warm sound I have would recommend Marantz/Denon/HK.

I have heard some Great reviews on the Marantz SR4300 they say it has great stereo and HT sounds at under $350

For what its worth according to What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision is gets 5 starts and beats H/K AVR 3550 and Denon AVR-1803

Just a suggestion.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Just a heads-up, if you buy the receiver from the US, it will NOT be covered under warranty should anything is wrong with the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks