What's new

On The Lot - Season One Thread (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
So the votes last night meant nothing? Or did they march the three of them into Spielberg's office at 4am this morning and tape this show? :confused:

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Sheeeesh - talk about a bail job.... what a disappointment :frowning: Nothing interesting - including Adrianna's attire. :thumbsdown:

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Well, since the penultimate episode meant nothing, and the vote results at the beginning were "the highest ever" (yeah, right - 50 instead of 40) I wouldn't put it past them. One of the posts in the forum mentioned not being able to cast their vote after the show ended on the east coast. That's how many hours difference from LA? They could have the contestants sign a non-disclosure agreement, but the audience? Good luck there...

It must be true. I read it on the internet. :)

http://community.thelot.com/Boards/f...spx?forum_id=1

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This has got to be the most shoddily produced reality show on any major network. At least I know I don't have to bother with last night's episode now...or really next week's finale. I think The Invasion was more fun than On the Lot last night...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It would've been fine if they each debuted a new movie and then got to do one encore of their favorite movie of the season. That would at least be going out with a bang of sorts and feel a lot less shoddy than it did. That said, I did enjoy rewatching both of Adam's films.

Re: the winner being revealed...my guess is that Burnett had nothing to do with this show aside from possibly coming up with the concept, but how come he can do live finales for Survivor, The Contender, and The Apprentice, all of which filmed months earlier, but with shows that are broadcast as they happen, the finale has to be taped? It guarantees a spoiler leak. He did the same thing with Rock Star, all of those results shows including the finale were taped despite being touted as live.

That said, I'm very happy with the winner if that spoiler is true. Jason made it much farther than he should've all on the basis of the judges going overboard with their attack on his first film, Ghetta Rhoom, and Will made it much farther than he should've because he was the family man. Adam made it far by being by far the most consistently strong filmmaker, and he absolutely deserves the win.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Burnett has nothing to do with The Amazing Race, that's a Jerry Bruckheimer production(and it also happens to be the best reality show ever). Aside from Survivor and season 1 of The Apprentice, Burnett has been in total freefall. Maybe he should move on to doing something else because if a pile of crap like On the Lot is the best he can do now it's clear that he's lost his touch.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Amazing Race is the only one that I can actually watch. It's at least interesting to see people interact with other cultures and expose who they are. And to see other countries is interesting. This had NOTHING going for it after the second episode. For a show about filmmaking, someone should have told them you have to have this thing called DRAMA of some sorts.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The first season of The Contender was superb, as well as the first season of Rock Star. I think Burnett just took on so many projects at once that it's impossible to maintain quality--certainly Survivor still stands up well, but it's lost something since All-Stars--it feels like almost a completely different show.

It seems like after a while, he started doing less of the actual work on his shows and more delegating, and everything has suffered for it. I mean, those first four seasons of Survivor aren't just great examples of reality TV; they're great TV, period.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All the vitriol about this show all of a sudden is kind of bizarre. I also don't understand all the reality show elitism. For all its shortcomings, at least On the Lot involves some amount of talent on the part of the participants rather than a bunch of low brow backstabbing and selfishness.

As far as Zach getting the boot, I wasn't all that surprised. He started strong, no doubt, but as the competition went on he proved himself to be a one dimensional filmmaker and a rather weak storyteller. I have no doubt he has a future in film, but possibly not at the helm.

I agree I doubt the show will be back. I haven't followed the details of it, but it did seem it was essentially passed off early in the run.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

If you look back through this thread you'll see that it's not "all of a sudden" as many people, myself included, have been frustrated by this show since the beginning. I almost bailed on it after the first episode, but I decided to stick with it to see what happened. As I said in an earlier post, if I had it to do all over again there's no way I would've even bothered with this show as it turned out to be a complete waste of time.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Guess I'll be the first to say..... What a let down.

Not the winner, I actually like the winner. But the show just sort of went out with a wimper. Even the final 2 minutes with Steven S. were lame.

I don't think this show can be fixed enough for another attempt next year.

Well, Anyway, congrats to the winner. I think the best person did win. It was only the viewers that lost.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Gee - what a waste of 55mins - only 5 mins were actually necessary. And the red carpet intro was soooooooo hokey... And when the VO announcer said "And now to announce your winner..." I actually was stupid enough to think he was going to say Stephen Spielberg???

Congrats to the winner (won't mention a name 'cause I don't know how to do the spoilers code/thing) - he was in my top 2 to win it for quite a while now.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I got through the entire episode in about 6 minutes and it's a relief to finally close the book on this show for good. I'm happy for the winner and I hope he does well at DreamWorks. I also hope they don't do another installment of this show next year because it's just about the worst thing I've ever subjected myself to. Instead of congratulating the winner at the end, Spielberg should've looked into the camera and said "I'm sorry Mark Burnett and I couldn't come up with a better show than this so we're giving all of you poor bastards that watched a million bucks each". :D

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Interesting that was still called the "Season Finale". As if there will be a Season Two...that would be a Hollywood miracle...

The ending was so anti-climactic, and badly staged. It also seemed like such bad continuity. It's nightime - no, wait, it's daytime, no, it's twilight!

Results shows that offer nothing but highlights are a waste of my time. Thank God for my PVR. This could hve been a half hour show if they didn't bring up early losers to recap their stories and show their works.

Dreamworks' track record of late has been very hit-and-miss. Paramount owns Dreamworks, but sold off the live-action catalogue. It's not a very prestigious position to be in, even when Spielberg welcomes you to "the lot".

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What a bizarre practice to watch and continue to watch a show you absolutely despise. A lot of people here seem to have done that. I have this bizarre habit of NOT watching a show I hate. OK, this was kind of a weird disappointment, but I stuck with it just to see what happened. Still, in the cesspool of "Reality TV" it ranks rather high, which is saying practically nothing. At least it was something other than greedy, posturing, self obsessed, backstabbing narcissists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks